Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Börkur Jónsson

Was there really no "One More Thing"?

So I following this on irc and there was no mention of a "one last thing" so has this happened before or? I thought this was a tradition so I kept waiting for the last thing, when I suddenly realised it was over.

So I following this on irc and there was no mention of a "one last thing" so has this happened before or? I thought this was a tradition so I kept waiting for the last thing, when I suddenly realised it was over.

correct me if i'm wrong, but the one more thing trend started with the announcement of the apple tv back in late '06. they haven't been doing this forever so it actually is relatively new. they've used it once(?) since then, but when you think about it 2 times is enough before people start to expect a "one more thing", which defeats the element of surprise. i'm about 75% sure that's been killed off. apple likes to keep people on their feet, but frankly I was just as shocked as you.

-Patrick

Seems like it started in 1999 according to this list I found on wikipedia..

The AirPort base station and Airport card after the iBook was introduced in Macworld Expo 1999

The PowerBook G4

The fifth generation iPod with video, announced at a press conference self-referentially titled "One more thing"

The MacBook Pro (at Macworld Expo 2006)

Introduction of selling movies via the iTunes Store in September 2006; a second "One more thing" in the same presentation also unveiled an upcoming product dubbed iTV (renamed to Apple TV on Macworld 2007). A third "One More Thing" was the lead-in to introduce a live performance by John Legend at the conclusion of the presentation.

Introduction of Safari for Windows Beta.

The wireless version of the iTunes Store on the iPod touch and iPhone

Seems like it started in 1999 according to this list I found on wikipedia..

The AirPort base station and Airport card after the iBook was introduced in Macworld Expo 1999

The PowerBook G4

The fifth generation iPod with video, announced at a press conference self-referentially titled "One more thing"

The MacBook Pro (at Macworld Expo 2006)

Introduction of selling movies via the iTunes Store in September 2006; a second "One more thing" in the same presentation also unveiled an upcoming product dubbed iTV (renamed to Apple TV on Macworld 2007). A third "One More Thing" was the lead-in to introduce a live performance by John Legend at the conclusion of the presentation.

Introduction of Safari for Windows Beta.

The wireless version of the iTunes Store on the iPod touch and iPhone

wow. i need to watch more keynotes then! then you make a good point. god I really was hoping they would announce more stuff. it seemed like it was all software and little hardware. does anyone else feel like they got burned?

-patrick

I wasn't expecting much, so for me it wasn't really a disappointment. After the Keynote at Macworld 2007 I have lost all belief in Steve Jobs. For me he now is just like any other businessman.

I wasn't expecting much, so for me it wasn't really a disappointment. After the Keynote at Macworld 2007 I have lost all belief in Steve Jobs. For me he now is just like any other businessman.

I have noticed that he's becoming increasingly more devoted to his stock holders, rather than his consumers. But I wouldn't call him just any other businessman. Care to elaborate a bit?

-Patrick

I have noticed that he's becoming increasingly more devoted to his stock holders, rather than his consumers.

-Patrick

How ironic then that Apple's stock plummeted after his keynote speech ;)

How ironic then that Apple's stock plummeted after his keynote speech ;)

Well, besides the fact the market was just plain down today (AGAIN!) I believe that historically, the price does go down after the keynote. It's the "Buy on rumors, Sell on facts", things.

I think it's a bigger reflection of the overall market than Apple specifically. The analysts still think Apple's a good buy but nobody is buying much of anything right now.

There's one more thing here - complete with at least one grammatical error - mandatory for all articles on the BBC web site these days it seems. I know it's not exactly what this thread concerns but I do like to see a view from an undistorted reality field from time to time.