Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

macsrock1

Apple losing focus with the Macbook air and other announcements???

Hey everyone-I think the Macbook air is really cool-amazing technology-but $1799? Thats pretty steep. I know Apple doesn't necessarily make inexpensive products, but $1799 for a laptop that you can't even get another battery for? That's pretty hard to believe.

I think this product will sell to some of the folks who just want the coolness/form factor (i guess its almost like an oversized iPod nano).

I just kind of see a gaping hole in the Mac product line that has been there for almost 2 years. (Mainly by letting the mac mini become extremely obsolete and overpriced, and just making small improvements like processor upgrades in existing models-macbook/ibook and macbook pro/powerbook) It seems that Apple is/has focused more on the iPod/iPhone than it has the Mac.

Hopefully another desktop will come into the picture, to replace the mac mini, and make the lineup more complete.

OK, I've had a few but I have to say I just plain think you're wrong.

I don't think the mini is obsolete and I don't see a gaping hole in the product line.

Show me a price point with comparable (really comparable when you include actual software) that Apple doesn't hit with something. And, let me say here that I don't think the $400 PCs are really comparable to the mini's

To some extent, I'm just tired of hearing your line of thinking. It seems to be the same thing I've heard for years, yet, Apple continues to move up the food chain, not down. It's not ALL marketing. They make great products that people can actually use.

Im disgusted with the £13 Touch update, Apple have lost the plot and yet again managed to piss the core community off.

Mac Book Air? Overpriced underperforming fashion accessory and WTF is "Time Capsule" about? Why cant I plug a Hard drive into my base-station?

Movie rentals? If you live outside the US then forget it!! Look how long it took for the TV shows and whats with the 24hour BS.

Poor Poor and more Poor!!

Im getting more and more pissed at Apple for what seems to be nothing more than greed.

Im disgusted with the £13 Touch update, Apple have lost the plot and yet again managed to piss the core community off.

Mac Book Air? Overpriced underperforming fashion accessory and WTF is "Time Capsule" about? Why cant I plug a Hard drive into my base-station?

Movie rentals? If you live outside the US then forget it!! Look how long it took for the TV shows and whats with the 24hour BS.

Im getting more and more pissed at Apple for what seems to be nothing more than greed.

I, for one, am really excited about Time Capsule. I have 3 macs to back up, and I've been waiting to make an upgrade to my 802.11g AE base station until they worked out the wireless disk issues. This allows me to kill two birds with one stone: I can upgrade to an 802.11n base station and purchase the disk space for backing up all at once. And when all is said in done, I will have one less piece of hardware that I need to plug in and find space for.

Don't get me wrong - I think Apple should (and must) get its act together so that any hard disk can be plugged into the base station and used with Time Machine or any other backup strategy. I suspect that will come in time. In the mean time, the Time Capsule option is great for those of us (a) wanting to purchase an 802.11n base station and (B) wanting to set up a simple yet dependable backup strategy for multiple macs.

- Tim

I think the macbook air is a sign of things to come, just like the ipod nano to some extent. Eventually all their notebooks will be in a similar form factor to this (ie really thin). It's just a matter of time before we see full speed Core 2 Duos, better flash drives in something like this.

Wow this forum is filled with grouchy people. I, for one, really enjoyed the Keynote. Apple continually blows me away with their new and innovative products. Are they perfect? No. But do they time and time again build the best systems? Yes, absolutely.

MacBook Air. Amazing. Small, portable, powerful. It's definitely worth $1799. That's the perfect mid-range price-point between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro's. And just out of curiosity, why would you even want to take out the battery? It's the same deal with the iPod, and nobody complains about that. I find it remarkable that after seeing such an amazing machine all you can say is... yeah but, I can't take it apart...

Time Capsule. Brilliant idea. It creates an even smaller footprint of items on my desk. Streamlined. I like it. One device to send out the wi-fi signal and also to back up my data effortlessly. Why would I even want to go back to a rinky-dink system of plugging a bunch of things together and hoping it all plays nicely? With this system, it'll just work.

Movie rentals. Awesome awesome awesome. I'm glad they added this. It was the missing ingredient in iTunes/Apple TV. Wonderful idea. I'm glad they could do this, and in full cooperation with all of the major studios. Of course Apple intends to have these features available internationally, but as is the case with every product they make, these things take time. I'm not a foreign diplomat, so I have no idea why it takes so long sometimes, but I imagine it just has to do with the fact that each country operates just a little bit differently, and they all want their own kind of deal with Apple. Be patient, it'll come. Apple wants to deliver the content out to the world. Don't worry, it'll happen.

And if, after all of these great things that Apple has announced, you can still be mad at them, then please, go buy a Dell or Sony or Gateway. Maybe they will have what you're looking for. No one is forcing you to buy Apple.

I know it's only a matter of opinion, but I was happy to pay the $20 for Mail and Mapping alone, and I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt over the issue of Sarbanes-Oxley issue for now.

I tend to agree with you about the cost of the MBA though - It's nice, but way out of my budget for tech toys.

BTW, it's very easy to set up a U.S. based iTunes account from here in the U.K; you just have to buy USD iTunes gift cards from eBay to fund your purchases. I've been doing it for ages, and have had no problems. In fact, I'm currently downloading my first movie rental - just 'cos I can! When I get my Apple TV, I'll be super happy!

Steve

IMHO if you have a pre Dec 01 Touch and you are tempted then buy the upgrade but my opinion is still the same and that Apple should make this available to all Touch owners for free. I will never again buy a 1st gen product from Apple and doubt I am alone in this thinking.

The best thing to come out of MacWorld is Office 08 or perhaps I only feel this way due to putting up with Office 04 on Intel for the past 14months ;-)

Still feel the Keynote was a let down.

OK, I've had a few but I have to say I just plain think you're wrong.

I don't think the mini is obsolete and I don't see a gaping hole in the product line.

Show me a price point with comparable (really comparable when you include actual software) that Apple doesn't hit with something. And, let me say here that I don't think the $400 PCs are really comparable to the mini's

To some extent, I'm just tired of hearing your line of thinking. It seems to be the same thing I've heard for years, yet, Apple continues to move up the food chain, not down. It's not ALL marketing. They make great products that people can actually use.

To me the only thing that's selling apple's products for them is the operating system. Mac OS X is so sleek and isn't as big of a CPU hog, so apple doesn't have to put better hardware in their computers to make them run fast. Not so on the windows side. But if microsoft can sell windows for $3 USD, that just says that when you buy a computer not much of the cost is the operating system.

I almost thought twice about my decision to get a macbook because of how much cheaper you can get hardware like that on a pc laptop. From a switcher's perspective, apple does focus a little too much on style. Still, style sells itself, and in this case it sold 1500 dollars of it.

The mini has its place and I'm glad apple made it. Still, some people can't even afford a 600 dollar computer. Maybe apple could make a computer that doesn't sacrifice the performance of the mini but just sacrafices style. That would appeal to a lot of people.

I will never again buy a 1st gen product from Apple and doubt I am alone in this thinking.

I must say you've got a point there. I passed on the iPod touch and ATV when they 1st came out but am going to buy them now. Having said that, there is always that little excitement one can get from being the first of your group to buy a new toy. :rolleyes:

I almost thought twice about my decision to get a macbook because of how much cheaper you can get hardware like that on a pc laptop. From a switcher's perspective, apple does focus a little too much on style. Still, style sells itself, and in this case it sold 1500 dollars of it.

I thought this was an interesting comment. I switched partially because of price concerns as well... not so much the sticker price, but the price of re-buying a machine every 2 to 3 years. When I was using Windows computers, I was constantly having to re-buy my hardware b/c it would either break or become obsolete w/ the announcement of a new version of the operating system. I felt like I was just throwing money out the window, and that was so frustrating to me that I was forced to look outside the PC market. And that's when I found Apple. Sure there's an initial sticker-shock when you see the price on a lot of their products, but they're far more cost effective when you consider that they not only last two to three times longer than comparative products, Apple also stands behind their older machines much longer than most companies do (yes, I'm talking about Microsoft).

that is so so true. That is the best thing about apple in my opinion.

And i think i'll be getting a time capsule, because of this. I can back up, 3 computers (some not even in the same building) on one hard drive.

I have learned that one should never have a firm opinion about a production one has never held in one's hands.

No, the Macbook air isn't for everyone, but then Macs, iPods and iPhones also aren't for the general population as well. We, being in the bubble of tech geeks, sometimes forget that many people have little interest in technology and gadgets. I talked yesterday with someone who is on the Internet only twice a week, for about half an hour. He wasn't a Luddite, but just someone with a normal life, wife, children, and such.

Anyway, Apple prefers to start in a niche market, develop, and then expand to a mass market. The Macbook Air is such a 1.0 product. It is a precursor of more trimmed down computers. Much of the computer nowadays is down in the cloud (e.g. Amazon S3, dotMac, Google Apps, and not to forget community websites, such as MySpace, Flickr, Twitter etc.).

Does one really need all the peripherals we are so used to? Much of our data already lives elsewhere. It is only when you are doing production, such as video editing, that you really need fast access to your data and a lot of peripherals.

My 2 cents.

(edit: typo)