Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

macsrock1

Movie rentals and Apple TV

I love the idea of getting HD movies wirelessly and streaming them to my HD TV. I noticed the new Apple TV is only $230 for the 40 gig option-I would consider buying an Apple tv if they were say $100-$150. (Knowing that I would probably be spending lots of $ on the rentals/content from itunes)

What are your thoughts?

I love the idea of getting HD movies wirelessly and streaming them to my HD TV. I noticed the new Apple TV is only $230 for the 40 gig option-I would consider buying an Apple tv if they were say $100-$150. (Knowing that I would probably be spending lots of $ on the rentals/content from itunes)

What are your thoughts?

Apple TV is coming closer to where it needs to be for me to buy, but it's not quite there yet. For me it's not really the price, although the price drop is nice. For me, the reality is that I can get movies and TV shows into my TV much cheaper using normal cable TV and DVD rentals and the local store.

The thing that would make me consider an AppleTV, at current prices or anywhere close to that, is an integrated DVR setup. Make it so I don't need Tivo or additional Elgato products. Make it so I don't need to throw more money at my cable company for their DVR service. Give me an easy way to take my cable TV signal and record what I want, and then send it wirelessly to my TV. Then we'd be talking...

Of course, Apple has no incentive to do that as long as they're trying to sell TV programs directly, so I'm not holding my breath.

- Tim

I'd get one if they offered a netflix style system where I could have any three (or whatever) movies for as long as I want for X £ a month. But of course we'd need movies on the UK store first :|

Just finding somewhere to whine!

But where is the Apple TV update already? It has been over 2 weeks now (just!).

Was looking forward to brand spanking new interface and rental loveliness!

Mainly looking forward to streaming through airtunes and podcast downloading, both of which should make the machine much more useful!

You'll be waiting a lot longer than 2 weeks for rentals over here. They're aiming for some time in 2008. Not guaranteeing; aiming. :|

I am also waiting for the update, I am lucky I have a US itunes store account even though I am in Canada, so I am looking for the update ASAP!!!!

I am also waiting for the update, I am lucky I have a US itunes store account even though I am in Canada, so I am looking for the update ASAP!!!!

Apple announced today that the update isn't quite finished yet and it'll be another week or two before it's done.

At least it stops me from obsessively checking the software update!

You too huh, Eye_Doc? I was checking 2-5 times a day, everyday for the 2 weeks after Macworld. I am one sick man. I still catch myself checking everyday or so even though I know it will just give me disappointment and misery. I am so Steve Jobs' whipping boy.

At least it stops me from obsessively checking the software update!

I would probably buy one if I had an HD tv. I don't think the price is to bad although $150 would definitely make it more attractive.

I don't know why Apple, and Netflix won't work a deal, it not like people can't get on netflix, with there netflix account, watch a movie, and at the end have a buy tab so you can have the option to buy the movie if avaliable to buy through itunes