Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gomez

Movie Rentals & iPod 5th generation

Has anybody been successful with movie rentals working on iPod 5th generation. No update has been issued yet, I hope Apple does one.

Has anybody been successful with movie rentals working on iPod 5th generation. No update has been issued yet, I hope Apple does one.

I did read that you can "watch rentals anywhere: you're computer, your appletv, and even your current generation ipod or iphone". So, if your an optimist, you pay attention to the "anywhere" part and make excuses that apple's just procrastinating. But if you were logical or pessimistic, it's no. Apple is telling you (with a good spin on things) to once again hand over a chunk of your wallet to them. As an ipod touch owner, I can tell you that they've released an update for that model and were prompt about it. It sounds to me like the 5th gen has been left behind.

I did read that you can "watch rentals anywhere: you're computer, your appletv, and even your current generation ipod or iphone". So, if your an optimist, you pay attention to the "anywhere" part and make excuses that apple's just procrastinating. But if you were logical or pessimistic, it's no. Apple is telling you (with a good spin on things) to once again hand over a chunk of your wallet to them. As an ipod touch owner, I can tell you that they've released an update for that model and were prompt about it. It sounds to me like the 5th gen has been left behind.

It didn't even occur to me that this might be an issue.... thats ridiculous. I guess I could output my laptop to standard TV but I will probably just watch them in all of their HD glory on my computer.

It's true - you can't use previous generation iPods to view rented content. I read somewhere (I wanna say it was on the TUAW blog, but don't quote me on that) that the reason the older ones don't work has to do with the cable for the new iPods - the cable has a DRM chip in it to make sure that you don't transfer rentals to places you're not supposed to. I'd be curious to see if you can use that cable on other iPods and get it to work though... hmmm.... :)

It's true - you can't use previous generation iPods to view rented content. I read somewhere (I wanna say it was on the TUAW blog, but don't quote me on that) that the reason the older ones don't work has to do with the cable for the new iPods - the cable has a DRM chip in it to make sure that you don't transfer rentals to places you're not supposed to. I'd be curious to see if you can use that cable on other iPods and get it to work though... hmmm.... :)

I know this sounds ignorant, but that's just plain stupid. I'm sorry, but I rent movies on demand through cable. Great quality, huge selection, you know. Well, as far as I know my cable box isn't using any drm technologies, so why would the studios agree to that? I think apple is undercutting themselves with all this drm crap. It seems like other services (netflix) get off easy and don't have to be so careful.

...I will probably just watch them in all of their HD glory on my computer.

As far as I know, the HD versions are only availble on the Apple TV. Downloads to your computer will be standard definition.

I know this sounds ignorant, but that's just plain stupid. I'm sorry, but I rent movies on demand through cable. Great quality, huge selection, you know. Well, as far as I know my cable box isn't using any drm technologies, so why would the studios agree to that? I think apple is undercutting themselves with all this drm crap. It seems like other services (netflix) get off easy and don't have to be so careful.

Well, yes and no. You can't take what you've rented on either your cable box (or via another download service like Netflix or Amazon) and move it to your iPod. So effectually, they're accomplishing the exact same thing that DRM does -- it determines how and where you watch their content. If you think about it, Apple actually is way more flexible in how they offer the content to us then any of these other companies.

Well, yes and no. You can't take what you've rented on either your cable box (or via another download service like Netflix or Amazon) and move it to your iPod. So effectually, they're accomplishing the exact same thing that DRM does -- it determines how and where you watch their content. If you think about it, Apple actually is way more flexible in how they offer the content to us then any of these other companies.

I know I shouldn't carry this on for so long, but we have a DVD recorder that takes a standard A/V signal and puts it on dvd. it'd be pretty easy to rip it back to ipod then. it'd be even easier with a dvr.

As far as I know, the HD versions are only availble on the Apple TV. Downloads to your computer will be standard definition.

Anyone care to comment on this one way or the other? That would be a huge sticking point for me. The best thing about this whole deal was that I was suddenly going to be able to watch HD without buying a new TV.

EDIT: Lame... http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/...ent-on-apple-tv

This went form the coolest thing ever to... sort of handy I guess.

Anyone care to comment on this one way or the other? That would be a huge sticking point for me. The best thing about this whole deal was that I was suddenly going to be able to watch HD without buying a new TV.

EDIT: Lame... http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/...ent-on-apple-tv

This went form the coolest thing ever to... sort of handy I guess.

Well (and correct me if I'm wrong) technically speaking, you can only watch something in HD if you have both HD content coming in and an HD screen to watch it on. So if your computer has an HD screen, you could absolutely watch HD on your computer. If your screen is standard def, then you can only watch standard def.

That being said, I do believe it's technically possible to play back HD on a "normal" screen, but you just wouldn't see it in HD, you'd see it in standard def b/c that's the only way that screen would know how to display it.

Well (and correct me if I'm wrong) technically speaking, you can only watch something in HD if you have both HD content coming in and an HD screen to watch it on. So if your computer has an HD screen, you could absolutely watch HD on your computer. If your screen is standard def, then you can only watch standard def.

That being said, I do believe it's technically possible to play back HD on a "normal" screen, but you just wouldn't see it in HD, you'd see it in standard def b/c that's the only way that screen would know how to display it.

Most computers are capable of playing HD content back at a native resolution if you can get it on to the computer. A macbook pro is certainly capable the question is how to get it on to the computer. It doesn't have an HD DVD or Blueray player so you could either buy some device that will let you hook up an HD cable signal or rabbit ears or you can download it. So what I expected was that you would be able to download and watch HD content from itunes and play it back on your computer. Doesn't seem unreasonable and it's certainly possible but instead I have to buy an apple TV and that will only be useful for HD if I have an HD TV which I do not. &**&%$(&(^ bastards!!