1. 1. Please answer below

• Yes, I will buy it
    • Yes, I have pre-ordered
    • No, I don't need it
    • No, the price is a little high
    • No
    • What is Time Capsule?
    • May be

Yesterday announcement was interesting. For me, I like the idea of Time Capsule for a couple of reasons:

1. Automatic backup for our family's laptops
  2. Hardware consolidation: I can retire my Belkin router now.
  3. Possibility of working with my Airport Express. I hope that I can use my AirportExpress to make a wireless bridge for my kids' iMac G3

At this point, my question is, "Yes, I will buy it," but I am still not 100% sure because of the price (I can get a a 1TB Western Digital drive from Costco for $300 - $30 coupon = $270). By the way, does any one know if Time Machine can work as a print server?

Not me.

1) Already have an Airport Extreme

2) Prefer to backup to connected drives on individual machines with SuperDuper

3) Don't have Leopard and not that interested in Time Machine (other things in Leopard but not Time Machine)

i read that they basically just put the hard drive in there because people were getting too confused about plugging in a usb drive to the airport extreme. i believe they were always planning on adding better leopard support for these airport shared drives, and eventually adding time machine support, and since time capsule should run just about the same software as the extreme (i'm assuming the drive is connected in a similar manner, just on the inside instead), i'm hoping for an update to my extreme that will allow time machine support.

If apple let me do this with my current extreme then I'll probably use it, but I have my TM drive hooked up to a usb hub with my printer / iPhone / Keyboard that is obviously plugged in when I'm at my desk anyway, so it wouldn't save me anything anyway.

I have a dedicated firewire drive for backing up making a disk image with superduper, so I have wanted not to use time machine as it is not bootable. I would like to have the features of time machine and be able to restore files, so I was thinking about getting another external anyways. The timecapsule seems to be the perfect soloution, so I don't have to have a hard-wired connection, and I've been wanting to get a wireless N router. I'll wait a couple months and buy one...

Edited by firewalk13

I would love to use this for backup, except I need closer to 3TB worth of storage in order to fully backup everything, and keep backups of the changes...

...I need closer to 3TB worth of storage...

I am with you. The hunger is never end.

I am with you. The hunger is never end.

No, not buying one. I just recently bought a new Netgear router and already have a few external drives. I did order an AppleTV today though.

I might buy it when I upgrade my macbook pro next and have 802.11n built in.

I am sooo going to buy one! Although, i may wait until they drop the price a little bit. B):):D

Great solution for those looking for one that still doesn't own either one... for the price.. its a steal.. $100 for 500gb? im in.

With vast numbers of people falling victim to Apple's incompetence over failing to fix the bugs with the latest Airport Extreme, I think it would be foolish to spend money on Apple's latest attempt. They need to fix the Airport Extreme and prove that they can get Airport Disks working reliably before they go launching yet another product. It annoys me immensely that Apple have put resources into developing Time Capsule instead of fixing the problems with their existing product, especially when their existing product should do exactly the same job as Time Capsule claims to do (when connected to an external USB hard drive).

I don't think the 500 Gb is overpriced - $179 for an "N" router and another $120 for 500 Gb HD. That's pretty much in line with general pricing for NAS these days. Bumping the price by another $200 for an additional 500 Gb is a bit much, though.

That said, I still won't buy one. Already have an Extreme and prefer real bootable backups to directly attached storage.

No, its a very expensive HDD when it inevitably fails.

Most folks already have routers dont they? I have had my non-Apple router for 5 years and expect to hang onto it for another year or so.

Divide and conquer ;-)

No, its a very expensive HDD when it inevitably fails.

Most folks already have routers dont they? I have had my non-Apple router for 5 years and expect to hang onto it for another year or so.

Divide and conquer ;-)

Most have routers, but how many of those routers support attaching a disk that can be used as NAS for multiple computers? Not mine, and I suspect I'm not alone...

And when it does fail, as I'm sure it will someday, I strongly suspect there will be options for replacing it (for a fee, of course).

- Tim

I pre-ordered and I can't wait to get it. I already have an Airport Extreme, but I have a TiVo bogging down the signal (Extreme only as fast as its slowest device?) Also I'm looking forward to the easy backups for all my macs (family not so savy). Also, it would be nice to back up all my DVD's with MacTheRipper onto the Capsule and use alias' on my macbook. I love it and can't wait!

I won't be getting one right away, but sometime this summer I probably will. Reason being I've been putting off getting a router for way too long ( I've been just using the airport in my iMac to "broadcast" to my laptop ) and since the Airport extreme by itself is $179.00, $120.00 for a networked 500 GB HD ( even if it would only be used for Time Machine ) sounds like a great deal. That being said, some of the rationale behind the Time Capsule does seem a bit flawed to me. OK, I understand the convenience of having one HD for backup of your entire home network, but Jobs made a point at the keynote that this was abetter solution for a laptop than carrying around a portable external HD. That's the part I don't get. I mean if you use the Time Capsule for the backup of your laptop, how is having to be within range of your Time Capsule more convenient than being able to access your backups on the road?