Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

omgitsaliv55

Macbook Air: Where's the appeal?

I know the technology that goes into the macbook air is amazing, but personally I don't see the appeal for most demographics. At that price point, it seems like your sacrificing an awful lot. The only way I see apple making money with the air is by contracting with companies to get them as computers for their employees. In other words, an "on the go" corporate computer. But a standard consumer computer? i doubt it. But I know that there are people out there who were drooling when this was announced. I guess I would like to hear some other people's justifications for the product and how/where it would be more useful than just a macbook. Thanks.

-Patrick

I think its very expensive too, but people who spend their lives travelling will appreciate the size. And of course there's the Scott Bourne's of the world (people that are rather loaded and buy pretty much every new gadget rather than having a habit of spouting utter bollocks all the time).

I know the technology that goes into the macbook air is amazing, but personally I don't see the appeal for most demographics. At that price point, it seems like your sacrificing an awful lot. The only way I see apple making money with the air is by contracting with companies to get them as computers for their employees. In other words, an "on the go" corporate computer. But a standard consumer computer? i doubt it. But I know that there are people out there who were drooling when this was announced. I guess I would like to hear some other people's justifications for the product and how/where it would be more useful than just a macbook. Thanks.

-Patrick

I tend to agree. A smaller sized, ultra portable, would seemingly be perfect for students, journalists or anyone else who needs to do alot of travellling. However its priced right out of the student arena (for the most part) and as far as the rest? Well an 80GB drive is nice, but with the growing size of today's multimedia (music, movies, photos, etc) it'll go very quickly. . (that's the reason I just upgraded my 80GB to 160GB). And forget bringing DVD's with you for data or to watch movies because there's no optical drive. Yes there's an "external" drive available, but doesn't that negate the portability a bit?

And no ethernet port? Do you really feel secure enough transferring data over wifi? For the average Joe, then maybe... but not if you have important data that you have to carry along with you.

I don't know. I'm kind of meh on the product. Its amazing engineering wise, but kind of targeted towards a niche audience I think.

really this is a second computer. You have your imac or mac pro at home. But your going on a flight cross country. So you rip your dvds and move onto your mac book air. and there you go. also drives take so much of your battery its ridiculous

really this is a second computer. You have your imac or mac pro at home. But your going on a flight cross country. So you rip your dvds and move onto your mac book air. and there you go. also drives take so much of your battery its ridiculous

You hit the nail on the head. This is a second computer. I can't believe that people don't get what the appeal of this computer is. It's essentially a halo product. It's expensive, small, and sexy. People who can afford it will buy it and everyone else will want one. I hear all kinds of people talking about why they won't get one because it doesn't have this or that and it's akin to saying I would NEVER buy a lamborghini I mean there isn't any trunk space.

You hit the nail on the head. This is a second computer. I can't believe that people don't get what the appeal of this computer is. It's essentially a halo product. It's expensive, small, and sexy. People who can afford it will buy it and everyone else will want one. I hear all kinds of people talking about why they won't get one because it doesn't have this or that and it's akin to saying I would NEVER buy a lamborghini I mean there isn't any trunk space.

Wow. I make a good living, but $1799 for a "secondary" computer is alot for me.

If you want to compare the Macbook Air to a Lamborghini, then so be it. But it only supports the argument that its a niche device without a broad audience.

Wow. I make a good living, but $1799 for a "secondary" computer is alot for me.

If you want to compare the Macbook Air to a Lamborghini, then so be it. But it only supports the argument that its a niche device without a broad audience.

I would agree with that. Most people are not going to be able to afford a $1700 second computer but some can. If you had a nice 8 core Macpro workstation coupled with a macbook air it would be a pretty amazing combo.

I would agree with that. Most people are not going to be able to afford a $1700 second computer but some can. If you had a nice 8 core Macpro workstation coupled with a macbook air it would be a pretty amazing combo.

I really disagree with this idea that this is just a 2nd computer, as I stated in one of the other topics. Sure, it works great as a 2nd computer for those who can afford it, but let's get real. How many people looking for a laptop are really going to hesitate?

It's obviously not the right computer from those who need frequent access to physical media on CD or DVD. I believe that those people only make up a small percentage of the market. People buy notebook because of the portability, and this is one of the most portable notebooks out there. I predict that these things are going to sell like crazy, and the majority of buyers will but them as a primary computer.

- Tim

I really disagree with this idea that this is just a 2nd computer, as I stated in one of the other topics. Sure, it works great as a 2nd computer for those who can afford it, but let's get real. How many people looking for a laptop are really going to hesitate?

It's obviously not the right computer from those who need frequent access to physical media on CD or DVD. I believe that those people only make up a small percentage of the market. People buy notebook because of the portability, and this is one of the most portable notebooks out there. I predict that these things are going to sell like crazy, and the majority of buyers will but them as a primary computer.

- Tim

See i get my problem is that I don't see this being much more portable than a macbook. It's just an anorexic macbook really; it's shed a few pounds and its super skinny. But that doesn't necessarily make it ultra portable. for the sacrafices you make with it it's not worth another 600 bucks for portability!

My Two cents... I am not attracted to the MacBook Air, its nice and neat, but the things that make it what is is, doesn't offset the price difference in my book. I get close to 4 hours of battery life on my regular MacBook, this thing gets 5. If its portable for playing media you put on it from another computer, its like a large portable ipod.... that can be used for some other apps as well.. ill take a MacBook and a ipod for hundreds less.

See i get my problem is that I don't see this being much more portable than a macbook. It's just an anorexic macbook really; it's shed a few pounds and its super skinny. But that doesn't necessarily make it ultra portable. for the sacrafices you make with it it's not worth another 600 bucks for portability!

Obviously this is not for you. However, don't underestimate the value of "shedding a couple of pounds" - A drop from 5 pounds to 3 pounds (that's 40% lighter) is a big deal when you travel a lot carrying lots of stuff.

I see this being purchased by a lot of mobile professionals. The price is within normal ranges for things like Sony's thin notebooks. The battery life is pretty good, very useful when traveling. Overall, I see this as a machine that will sell reasonably well.

- Tim

My Two cents... I am not attracted to the MacBook Air, its nice and neat, but the things that make it what is is, doesn't offset the price difference in my book. I get close to 4 hours of battery life on my regular MacBook, this thing gets 5. If its portable for playing media you put on it from another computer, its like a large portable ipod.... that can be used for some other apps as well.. ill take a MacBook and a ipod for hundreds less.

An extra hour of battery life is important to a lot of people. Sure, it's portable for playing media but it does a lot more than you can do on an iPod. For example, can I use my iPod to work on my KeyNote or PowerPoint presentation while flying across country?

- Tim

The MacBook Air is £1200 here in the UK which is very expensive considering for an extra £100 you get a MacBook Pro with more power, bigger screen and more features.

However I believe this new model is a concept design of things to come. It proves that Laptops can be light and slim. CD/DVD drives will become a thing of the past on laptops in years to come so all Laptops will become slimmer and lighter.

And as the technology is perfected the cost will come down. So in a couple of years time maybe the MacBook Pro will be this thin but have more CPU and graphical power.

In regards to the disk drive, the flash drives will come down in cost and will become bigger in capacity.

But at the moment it's a 1st Gen concept laptop for those who want the cutting edge in design. It's obviously not for the masses.

It really is amazing how many people I discuss this with. I dont think Apple are aiming for a large market, which is annoying as the much anticipated 11 / 12" notebook all of us were hoping for didnt come (Blu Ray, Flash drives etc). Although, I think it will take off as a novelty, but a year or so of it and Apple will stop producing them I think.

I agree. I mean . . . how long did the infamous Cube last?

When the Cube came out, I thought it looked cool and was a really great concept. BUT Apple is repeating history with this MB Air. They are overcharging for something who's major "feature" is it's design. What's that quote? "If you do not learn from history you are doomed to repeat it." (Thank you *very* much President Bush :angry: ). Don't get me wrong - I really really did want a Cube when they announced it and I STILL think they are cool and better in a lot of ways that the Mac Mini on which I am typing right now -- namely that the Cube uses desktop size drives as opposed to laptop components.

It is clear only to the design team what criteria they used to drive this product. Was the prime criterion weight? Was the prime criterion thinness? It seems easy to conclude (for me at least) that I/O certainly was low on the list.

It really is amazing how many people I discuss this with. I dont think Apple are aiming for a large market, which is annoying as the much anticipated 11 / 12" notebook all of us were hoping for didnt come (Blu Ray, Flash drives etc). Although, I think it will take off as a novelty, but a year or so of it and Apple will stop producing them I think.

Apple has not done this right, its not an ultra-portable its still average in footprint and below average compared to a MacBook that happens to be "half" the price. I dont see who will buy it as business/road warriors need optical drives and spare batteries.

I cant see many Mac Geeks buying the Air as they should by now have seen through "Steves Distortion Field", Switchers will also give the Air a wide berth due to the larger price premium of going Mac.

The only customer base I can see for this product are those with money to burn and want the latest fashion accessory, in other words the lowest common denominator and that is why it will either reduce in price or be discontinued.

For me MacWorld was a disappointment and the most interesting thing I saw was bloody stickers for ipods and MacBooks, still last years was a good one perhaps next will be better? anyone want to make any predictions for MacWorld 09? ;-)

- Tim

I watched the video introduction today and I have to say after watching that I could see it as an only computer.

I and other friends of mine in Japan, as students, owned what were at the time ultra slim laptops 10 years ago, the original purple colored Sony Vaio laptops. (I guess times have changed now that a $1700 laptop is considered "expensive.") Seeing that the Vaios are still around, and plenty of laptops without internal optical drives are already on the market, I think there will be real demand for Air. I was shocked at the limited number of ports it was given, but I think it was very Apple for them to do so, recalling on how the iMacs were one of the first to do away with the internal floppy drive.

You guys can complain all you want about the specs and the price, but I think the Apple Store (this is from the uk one) says it all:

20080122-tbcc86wwf2n3e9rbu2wy18ujsf.jpg

Those stats are fine and dandy here the 1st week after MacWorld . . . of course you would expect this. You've got to get past the reality distortion field and get past those who can't resist the buy-now-lust.

Give it a few months and then see what the numbers are . . . it'll be interesting, to say the least. Personally, I'm betting that overtime, the sales will drop because of price.

You guys can complain all you want about the specs and the price, but I think the Apple Store (this is from the uk one) says it all:

More Apple propaganda! Hang on...... a giraffe just walked past my window shouting world peace has arrived ;-)

US Store....

20080123-na3kuqjppqkgiwn6u1r25grkm.jpg

I couldn't buy one--not because of price, or lack of features: It just looks so delicate...

I'm afraid I'd snap it in two.