Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Waldo Pepper

Time Machine

Can Time Capsule be used as a "regular" external hard drive as well as for Time Machine?

If I buy one soon (I do not have Leopard yet), can I use it as a regular HDD and then when I get Leopard in the future, use it for the backups as well?

It's not really clear whether it only works as a HDD for Time Machine or whether it works for everything.

WP

I've heard conflicting reports on this. It's probably best to wait until it ships.

Can Time Capsule be used as a "regular" external hard drive as well as for Time Machine?

If I buy one soon (I do not have Leopard yet), can I use it as a regular HDD and then when I get Leopard in the future, use it for the backups as well?

It's not really clear whether it only works as a HDD for Time Machine or whether it works for everything.

WP

It should - According to the information on Apple's web site (see here) it should work as a shared hard drive. From the system requirements on the side of that page, there is this

For shared hard drive
:

Mac with Mac OS X v10.4.8 or later

PC with Windows XP (SP2) or Windows Vista; Bonjour for Windows included on Time Capsule CD

Based on that info I'd guess that it uses Bonjour to find and access the hard disk, which should be fine for you as long as you have Tiger with all the latest updates.

- Tim

I've heard conflicting reports on this. It's probably best to wait until it ships.

Yeah that's what I've heard too. Some say that it technically should be able to be used as a "normal" HD and other reports say that it can only do what Apple says it can do. It's hard to say for sure until we can get our hands on one.

Yeah that's what I've heard too. Some say that it technically should be able to be used as a "normal" HD and other reports say that it can only do what Apple says it can do. It's hard to say for sure until we can get our hands on one.

OK I am a bit confused about this product and I can't find anything to help explain it better. What extra functionality does this have over a current airport extreme with a USB HDD attached? I am guessing the drive must auto mount when you connect to the network or something so time machine works automatically. Is that it? If so will the software driving it flow back into older base stations with USB drives attached for the same functionality (I am guessing no but I can dream can't I)?

Thanks,

Greg

OK I am a bit confused about this product and I can't find anything to help explain it better. What extra functionality does this have over a current airport extreme with a USB HDD attached? I am guessing the drive must auto mount when you connect to the network or something so time machine works automatically. Is that it? If so will the software driving it flow back into older base stations with USB drives attached for the same functionality (I am guessing no but I can dream can't I)?

Thanks,

Greg

At the current time, the biggest difference is that Apple does not support using TimeMachine to back up to a disk connected by USB to your Airport Extreme base station. They originally advertised that as a feature when TimeMachine was announced, but they dropped it before the final release of Leopard. There are ways of making this work, but Apple does not support this right now.

The million-dollar question is this: Did Apple drop support for TimeMachine backups to an AE USB disk because of technical glitches that they still need to work out, or did they drop support so they could sell their own Time Capsule product. I'm hoping it's the former, and that they will eventually support Time Machine backups to any USB disk attached to your AE base station. However, I'm a bit suspicious that they're intentionally not supporting this so they can sell more time capsules.

- Tim