Purchasing advice Mac Pro or iMac?

Hi i would appreciate your thoughts :)

So i have finally saved up enough money to buy a shiny new mac but im stuck on which one to buy. I have enough for a Mac pro but would it be overkill? Right now i have a 1.42ghz iBook G4 512mb of ram running 10.5.1. At the moment im very interested in mastering CS3, Final cut express, Aperture/Lightroom, and possibly Logic. As you might have have guessed i cant run any of these programs very well on my iBook, ive tried CS2 on my iBook but it really struggled. So basically im just learning these programs. Would the iMac be able to handle these programs down the road? or would you suggest the Mac Pro.

Keep in mind im only 16, So this kind of cash does not come easy and im looking for something that will last more than 5 years.

Thanks

-Justin

If you want it to last more the 5 years then I'd go with the Mac Pro since it's very easy to upgrade it (with the iMac you'd be struggling to change anything other than the memory), and it will be capable of running the latest and greatest further down the road since it can take a stupid amount of ram and hd's.

If you're overstating how long you need it to last, then an iMac will easily run these apps for the next few years at least.

If you want it to last more the 5 years then I'd go with the Mac Pro since it's very easy to upgrade it (with the iMac you'd be struggling to change anything other than the memory), and it will be capable of running the latest and greatest further down the road since it can take a stupid amount of ram and hd's.

If you're overstating how long you need it to last, then an iMac will easily run these apps for the next few years at least.

Agreed. You could either accept that realistically no computer is going to be able to run those kind of apps for the next 5 years, the apps will outpace the computer, and gets yourself an imac or you could get the macpro because as Graham said at least you would have a chance of upgrading it along the way.

my opinion? go with the imac. why do i say this? well you have to have money to buy all the programs you listed, and the imac will run them just fine. plus, when you do need to upgrade, you'll already have some cash on hand to do so.

my opinion? go with the imac. why do i say this? well you have to have money to buy all the programs you listed, and the imac will run them just fine. plus, when you do need to upgrade, you'll already have some cash on hand to do so.

God knows he isn't buying all those programs. Anyway what I do is put $20 a week away as an upgrade fund. So every 2-3 years I have plenty of money to upgrade. I would suggest something similar and you could add your left over money as a seed.

Edited by joshr

1, You should get the iMac, all the Apps you have listed above will run as fast as you need them to run and you get the monitor included in one very nice package. I make my living with media production and run CS3 without problems on a 24' iMac.

I don't want to appear condescending but why on earth would you want a Mac Pro? unless you work in Media production, "High end media production" then its overkill.

Just a last thought....I have a friend that has just purchased a 8 core Macpro and when I asked him why he said "Its Apple Bling" still it will be fast when checking his email and browsing iTunes ;-)

Don't join the ranks of the pretentious and save yourself some money :-)

I only said get a mac pro so there is some remote hope of it being able to run pro apps in five years, which is virtually impossible to be honest. Unless you have real need for the mac pro (the fibre card or something), then go for the iMac since no computer is realistically going to be able to run pro apps for five years.

As nice as apple displays are, they're super expensive. I'd go for the HP if you've decided on that one, but I ordered (which arrives tomorrow! *squee*) a Samsung SM245B 24" for £300 to go with my MBP. My mate has one and they're amazing considering they're half the price of the Apple 23" screens.

another vote from me for the Samsung display. they really are excellent monitors for their price. the store i work in sells that HP monitor and i'm not a big fan, mainly because of the high gloss finish. I'm a matte screen man myself!

another vote from me for the Samsung display. they really are excellent monitors for their price. the store i work in sells that HP monitor and i'm not a big fan, mainly because of the high gloss finish. I'm a matte screen man myself!

If you are using this display for any kind of print work you definitely want to make sure you get a matte screen. I have heard that Dell screens are good but can sometimes be off with respect to color. If your serious a color calibration tool is a good investment.

I can second that. My Samsung arrived today and it's lovely, but it took me forever to adjust the colours so they were half way right. They're still a little off, so I will be needing to get my ass down to the shops before I can use it for work.

"Right now i have a 1.42ghz iBook G4 512mb of ram running 10.5.1."

Seems to me your biggest concern should be to get enough RAM. Provided that you have enough RAM the iMac will run CS3 apps and Aperature (including subsequent updates) just fine for the next 5 years - not sure about Final Cut and Logic.

I'm currently using CS3 apps on a 5 year old machine without any trouble.

I can second that. My Samsung arrived today and it's lovely, but it took me forever to adjust the colours so they were half way right. They're still a little off, so I will be needing to get my ass down to the shops before I can use it for work.

It's amazing how damn cheap some of teh color calibration stuff is these days. Let me know what you end up using.

Thanks for all your help guys! i got the Mac pro amazingly fast, i love it to death. I actually got a great deal on an 20" Apple cinema display so i'm very happy. Thanks for all the advice :)

Congratulations, you made a good choice. It's a big accomplishment to save that much money at age 16, and you should be proud. My advice is to hold on to your Mac Pro permanently, even after you replace it with another every day computer. Twenty-five years from now you'll be glad you did.

Thanks for all your help guys! i got the Mac pro amazingly fast, i love it to death. I actually got a great deal on an 20" Apple cinema display so i'm very happy. Thanks for all the advice :)