Pronoun

iMac or Dell?

Hi, I am a Mac guy, I have a G4 733MHz Mac downstairs for the family computer. It is time to replace it, but my daughter wants a Dell to play games not available for Mac OS X. I thought I might just get an iMac with Boot Camp and Parallels and that would cover all bases.

1. In Boot Camp is the iMac a PC capable of doing everything a Dell PC is?

2. Can Parallels run games well?

3. Windows Vista or Windows XP?

4. What are some problems with this solution, if any?

Thanks!

Edited by Pronoun

Paralels isn't fantastic for games to be honest. VMWare Fusion has "experimental" support for 3d graphics.

In Boot Camp, an iMac will wipe the floor with a dell (as far as that other operating system is concerned, it's just a normal pc). Filthy heathen machine.

I'd go with XP unless you've got any real need for Vista. If it's just to play the odd game, then I'd save yourself the money and go for XP.

The only problem is the need to run windows to be honest ;)

I expect the 3d support to improve in both parallels and vmware fusion in the near future anyway.

Edited by Graham

Paralels isn't fantastic for games to be honest. VMWare Fusion has "experimental" support for 3d graphics.

In Boot Camp, an iMac will wipe the floor with a dell (as far as that other operating system is concerned, it's just a normal pc). Filthy heathen machine.

I'd go with XP unless you've got any real need for Vista. If it's just to play the odd game, then I'd save yourself the money and go for XP.

The only problem is the need to run windows to be honest ;)

I expect the 3d support to improve in both parallels and vmware fusion in the near future anyway.

Another thing to research is what games your daughter wants to play and check to see if there is a Mac version of the game first. Sims I know has a Mac version and more and more are coming all the time.

Have you run Boot Camp with Windows XP to play games? Also, how would a MacMini(intergraded video card) run Windows XP with Boot Camp playing games.

Yep, I've played half life 2 on my MBP. It was pretty damn good (which it ought to be considering how much I paid for the damn thing). A Mac Mini would perform exactly as a PC running the same hardware would - not very well for most modern games! (although the sims and older games of it's ilk will be fine)

Another thing to research is what games your daughter wants to play and check to see if there is a Mac version of the game first. Sims I know has a Mac version and more and more are coming all the time.

I have looked and some have been ported, but not all. She also gets a toys that are Windows only (USB Crap that hooks into the computer - Funkey's is on that pop to mind)

Id probably suggest getting a Dell.

You can get a cheap Inspiron or Vostro desktop for about $400-$500 with a 19 or 20 inch monitor nowadays (would come with integrated video or a very crappy one, dont waste money getting a half decent video card from dell.)

The mid towers (not the slim ones, and I can only really attest to the Inspiron 530 and Vostro 200) can use standard power supplies, so get a new power supply and a decent video card from newegg or somewhere (something like a X1950 Pro or 8800GT, which would be around $150 or $235 respectively).

Pretty much use it only for gaming, and then get a mac mini.

You can get a decently powered Dell machine that you could upgrade easier + a Mac Mini and a KVM switch if you want, for probably less then if you had to get a suitably powered iMac for gaming, which would get outdated faster and youd have to buy a whole new one to upgrade anything other then the RAM and hard drive.

Edited by ithonicfury

Id probably suggest getting a Dell.

You can get a cheap Inspiron or Vostro desktop for about $400-$500 with a 19 or 20 inch monitor nowadays (would come with integrated video or a very crappy one, dont waste money getting a half decent video card from dell.)

I agree. It sounds like she'd be happier with that anyway - chances are these are the types of computers her friends have, which is a huge factor for picking brands at that age. Personally I think that Macs are amazing machines, but if the person using one going to appreciate it, why even go there? Get her what she'll love to own and she'll be happy with it.

Use Boot Camp

It's about the specs comparing a Dell to an iMac (don't forget the graphics card)

Get XP I would say; vista is just prettiness

Make sure you get the best graphics card in there that you can.

Get the iMac! :D

1. Yes. Boot camp with Windows is probably a lot better than running it on a Dell.

2. No, it does not run games well.

3. Windows XP! Windows Vista is a downgrade, get XP!

4. None

Get the iMac! :D

1. Yes. Boot camp with Windows is probably a lot better than running it on a Dell.

2. No, it does not run games well.

3. Windows XP! Windows Vista is a downgrade, get XP!

4. None

I hear that Macs run Windows better than PCs :rolleyes: . I totally agree. I'm on an iMac running XP and it works great, much better than a Dell or anything else.

Hi, I am a Mac guy, I have a G4 733MHz Mac downstairs for the family computer. It is time to replace it, but my daughter wants a Dell to play games not available for Mac OS X. I thought I might just get an iMac with Boot Camp and Parallels and that would cover all bases.

1. In Boot Camp is the iMac a PC capable of doing everything a Dell PC is?

2. Can Parallels run games well?

3. Windows Vista or Windows XP?

4. What are some problems with this solution, if any?

Thanks!

I am a recent convert and hope I can provide you some insight. I completely got rid of the windows machines in my house and purchased an iMac and Mac Pro. The Mac Pro uses bootcamp and VM.

1) When I boot in to windows it is exactly like running a windows machine. My mac Pro gets a score of 5.9 out of 6.0 for performance. Most of my friends at best get a 5.5. Mac wins again. The native feeling makes sense as windows is made to go on many different types of machines with mullions of combination. While this is one of the falls of windows it is also a benefit.

2) I run VM Ware but if you really want to run games I would boot into windows. I only play WOW and use the Mac version. My general opinion would be that the iMac will not be a great gaming machine due to the video card. My Mac Pro is really fast but I have a good card in it.

3) I would choose windows Vista 32 bit. DO NOT GET 64 BIT. Most of the issues you read about are in the 64 bit version due to many driver issues. THe 64 bit version gives you access to more memory which can be helpful in photo, video and 3-D processing but then I would just use the MAC. Also Microsoft just changed there policy to allow you to use Windows Basic (DO NOT GET BASIC BTW) and Windows Home premium.

4) I created a boot partition first and then use VM ware to boot into this partition. THis will save drive space if you want booth bootcamp and VM ware. Not sure if Parallels can do this.

Good luck.

Why won't the iMac be fine for games? The graphics card is acceptable, so with a decent processor and a healthy amount of ram, I don't see why it can't be used for games. My MacBook Pro runs every game I've thrown at it, so the iMac should be even better.

Why won't the iMac be fine for games? The graphics card is acceptable, so with a decent processor and a healthy amount of ram, I don't see why it can't be used for games. My MacBook Pro runs every game I've thrown at it, so the iMac should be even better.

Gaming works fine for me :)

Well, The imac can run it as well as a sufficiently priced or cheaper dell. However, If you want a mac, you can get a mac.

If you hit the right sale, you can get an inspiron 530 or 530s (which includes 2 gigs of ram) for less than $400. You can give your daughter a computer with a dual core processor for under $500 With a video card upgrade. Why not just get her a dell, and you an imac? You wont have to tell her to get off the computer so much because she wont be on YOUR computer.

We're digging out the golden oldies today aren't we?

We're digging out the golden oldies today aren't we?

mmm...Shiny!

iMac does everything a PC does under boot camp. Get a mac because PCs stink.

A word of warning... iMacs are not user servicable!