Robin

"Do you want "iTunes.app" to accept incoming network connections?"

iTunes asks me this question every time it starts and I have to authorize with Admin name/password. Why is it doing that and how can I stop it?

(BTW, other apps "downloaded from the internet" also ask if I want to open them every time.)

Thanks in advance!

iTunes asks me this question every time it starts and I have to authorize with Admin name/password. Why is it doing that and how can I stop it?

(BTW, other apps "downloaded from the internet" also ask if I want to open them every time.)

Thanks in advance!

I think this happens when you change the default firewall settings. You should be able to add iTunes to the firewall settings so it doesn't ask you this everytime.

Thanks for the quick reply!

iTunes is in the "allowed" list already, however. I also just quit iTunes to check if it went away in the Firewall settings, but it's still there and still asked me to allow when I restarted iTunes.

Thanks for the quick reply!

iTunes is in the "allowed" list already, however. I also just quit iTunes to check if it went away in the Firewall settings, but it's still there and still asked me to allow when I restarted iTunes.

What setting is your firewall on? I'm assuming it's on "Set access for specific services and applicatons." I saw the same problem with iPhoto whenever I connected my camera and was using this setting. I finally gave up and set the firewall back to "Allow all incoming connections."

Another thing: do you have a network monitoring app installed, like little snitch?

@RailRider - Hmm, I'll try that.

@Graham - I used to have it but never reinstalled after Leopard.

I had this issue (with another app, not iTunes, but same problem... wanted me to authenticate and allow it to receive connections the first time I launched the app after a reboot. Once I'd authorized it, I could quit it and re-start it without re-authorizing; but, as soon as I rebooted the Mac, it wanted authorization again. It was as if the firewall setting didn't survive the reboot.)

It finally stopped after I:

1. Reboot my Mac.

2. Logged in to my admin account (not my usual daily non-admin working account.)

3. Explicitly added the app to the list as allowed in the Security/Firewall prefs.

4. Rebooted the Mac.

It doesn't ask me any more. I think it was because of the above, post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Of course, that assumes you want iTunes (or whatever app) to accept incomming connections. I believe it uses them for Music Sharing. If you don't want to let iTunes to accept incomming connections, you might try turning off Sharing in iTunes' preferences.

Edited by car1son

Ahhh! Well, I don't care about Sharing, so I'll just shut that off! Thanks!

Edited by Robin