iacon

Boot Camp game crashes

So a few nights ago I found a couple old PC games I wanted to play, so I finally took the plunge and installed XP via Boot Camp. I got through the windows and game installation without a hitch, but then when I went to play them both crashed. One wouldn't even load and one would get to the New game / load / save screen and then crash when I tried to play.

So I found updates for the games and installed them. No change.

So I updated the video drivers with a work around I found on the Apple forums. No change.

I finally gave up and haven't looked back. Sucks because I'm running a 24" 2.8 GHz iMac C2D with 2 GB RAM and these games are from 2001 and I played them on a PII Way back then.

Anyone else hear about problems like this coming up often or have general advice?

Were you running XP on your P2? It's clearly some kind of Windows/game compatibility problem since when you're running Boot Camp your Mac is essentially just a PC.

Yeah, this is possibly because the games are so old they were never written with Dual Core any other multi-processor technology in mind.

Once the game is launched and you're at the main menu, minimize the game and do the following:

• Right-click on your taskbar and select "Task Manager"
  • In Task Manager, select the "Processes" tab
  • Right-click the game's process and select "Set Afinity"
  • Uncheck one of the CPU's

If their games for 95 or 98, you might also want to try to run them in compatability mode. Right click on them and go to Properties, go to the Compatability Tab, and tell it to run it as though it were on Windows 95 or 98.