BCMacDude

Quicktime pro

Any thoughts on this?

Is it worth it?

If i buy it, are they going to come out with an update really soon thats gonna make me pay $30 more bucks for it? Any thoughts

It costs peanuts for what you get. It's a bargain at twice the price.

Totally worth it! :D

Absolutely! In my experience, once you've parted with your cash, you don't have to pay more with subsequent updates.

Any thoughts on this?

Is it worth it?

Any thoughts

It probably depends on what you need to do. A tool that simplifies something you do is worth it; a tool that does things you don't want to do, isn't. Without stating your needs, the question is meaningless,

QTPro lets you edit clips - but the sliders are awkward to use - if you have iMovie, you'll be editing in that, not QT Pro.

QTPro let's you convert video formats. So does VisualHub.

QTPro let's you edit ID tags on audio and video files - so does iTunes.

QTPro has some editing tools for alpha masks, flipping / resizing videos (can be done in Visual Hub), adjusting contrast/brightness(can be done in iMovie). Do you need to do mask stuff? (I usually use an iMovie plug-ins.)

I own QT Pro, but I don't consider it essential.

If i buy it, are they going to come out with an update really soon thats gonna make me pay $30 more bucks for it? Any thoughts
Absolutely! In my experience, once you've parted with your cash, you don't have to pay more with subsequent updates.

Those who'd bought QuickTime Pro for Quicktime 6 had to purchase a new license for Quicktime 7.

Edited by car1son

Yep, you need to pay for major updates, but the small bug-fix type ones are free. It's still a bargain though.

It probably depends on what you need to do. A tool that simplifies something you do is worth it; a tool that does things you don't want to do, isn't. Without stating your needs, the question is meaningless,

QTPro lets you edit clips - but the sliders are awkward to use - if you have iMovie, you'll be editing in that, not QT Pro.

QTPro let's you convert video formats. So does VisualHub.

QTPro let's you edit ID tags on audio and video files - so does iTunes.

QTPro has some editing tools for alpha masks, flipping / resizing videos (can be done in Visual Hub), adjusting contrast/brightness(can be done in iMovie). Do you need to do mask stuff? (I usually use an iMovie plug-ins.)

I own QT Pro, but I don't consider it essential.

Those who'd bought QuickTime Pro for Quicktime 6 had to purchase a new license for Quicktime 7.

I do a quite a bit of video but am too poor for Final Cut :(. Word is you can capture video from the internet as well. That would be a useful feature for me as well.

Question: What iMovie plugins do you use? I've found a couple from c/fx i think? they're kinda useful.

Whats visualhub? is it free? What are its benefits over QTP?

Also, what else can QTP do? I've heard rave reviews on apple's website, but none are in-depth.

Thanks for the help

Question: What iMovie plugins do you use? I've found a couple from c/fx i think? they're kinda useful.

Whats visualhub? is it free? What are its benefits over QTP?

Also, what else can QTP do? I've heard rave reviews on apple's website, but none are in-depth.

iMovie6HD plugins I use: cf/x's Simple Caption, Simple Zoom, Crop, Picture in Clip, and Minify. I love cf/x's iMovie6 plug-ins.

And Stupendous Software's Mask's and Compositing plug-in set, which will do acceptable (to me) green screen work. That's probably $40 worth of plug-ins in all. I don't do anything fancier than that.

VisualHub is a video format converter. It's $25, but iSquint is a free but format-limited version of VisualHub. Actually, they're both just a GUI front-end to the open-source ffmpeg, but since the ffmpeg command-line utility has a zillion inter-dependent options, it's worth using VH just to simplify life. It has advanced options to crop or scale the video, too. QTPro let's you open a movie in one format (any format QT can play) and export to several possible formats. Visual Hub costs almost as much as QTPro, but supports more video formats. E.g., VisualHub can convert (non-DRM) WMV files to mp4 or other format. To do that with QTPro, you need the pay version of flip-4-mac, too (the free flip-4-mac will let you watch WMV in QT, but will put a watermark on an export.)

One thing I do with QT Pro is use the video controls to play videos at 1.5x or 2x speed, adjusting the audio pitch back down. Let's me scan things in half the time. VLC can play at high speed, too, but not with sound. I could do it with iMovie, I suppose, but I'd have to import the movie first.

I also use QTPro to select a small clip from a larger video and export to DV so I can import it to iMovie. Partly that's habit from the older iMovie v1 that couldn't import clips over 10 minutes long, and partly it just saves importing a 40 minute mp4 into iMovie just to grab a 15 seconds clip.

That's really about all I do with QTPro. Since I have iMovie6HD, I do most of my video processing there. Whether QTPro is useful to you depends on just what you need or want to do outside of iMovie6. I've never thought QTPro was very impressive (or intuitive to use) - but it's "only" $30. If I had to choose between buying QTPro or VisualHub and the cf/x plugins, I'd go with the latter.