MacFanatic

Leopard Dropping WiFi?

Does anyone else with leopard have problems with dropping wifi? I always run my macbook on wifi, and have noticed lately that even if I am downloading something from iTunes, I have to restart my router completly. I am just curious if this is happening to anyone else? I am getting a time capsule when they come out!! :D

Usually when you have those kinds of problems and lots of router restarts are required it's time for a new router.

I've noticed this problem with wherever/whatever router i'm using. I've found my wifi extremely unstable since switching to Leopard.

Yup. Thats what I thought. I heard a few other leopard users having the same problem, so I am definitely going to get a time machine. Do you think they will sell out the day they are released? I'm planning on going to my 'local' (35-40min) apple store on release day. Hopefully camping out won't be necessary!

I"m planning on buying a timecapsule. However, I'm not optimistic that it will solve my problems. My wifi's been bad on at least 6 different routers in different places since upgrading to Leopard. Even wireless N ones....

No one else has noticed this? I was hoping it was a more common problem, that would mean apple would be likely to fix it. Before Leopard, I had never used a laptop with as superior wifi capabilities as my macbook. However, it seems to drop its wifi about as much as my 1998 inspiron with a wifi card....

Sorry for bumping this but I'm really getting annoyed with this.

I don't know if this helps, but my friend complained about his Macbook dropping Wifi as well. He started noticing the problem when he changed his router to do N + G instead of N only which was what he had at first. He has since changed his router to N only and has a separate router for his G network. I don't know if this is a viable solution, but as I said, this is what my friend found to work.

I just started noticing this yesterday. It has happened on 2 of my 3 Leopard machines. In one case it never cleared up until I rebooted. In the other case I was able to change my network locations away and back again to get the Wifi connection to kick in again...

- Tim

I just started noticing this yesterday. It has happened on 2 of my 3 Leopard machines. In one case it never cleared up until I rebooted. In the other case I was able to change my network locations away and back again to get the Wifi connection to kick in again...

- Tim

I'm not sure if this will help, but I also noticed a while after Leopard was installed on my Macbook, I was getting lots of drop outs, especially during Network activity (downloads or lots of images on a web site).

Anyway, I had noticed a problem where my Macbook wouldn't go into Deep Sleep and other peculiar behaviors.

I took it to Apple who, after two visits, determined the main board was bad and it was replaced.

Since then I haven't had any more drop outs.

So, either the main board was the problem (voltage problems???) or the Wireless Card connection had gotten loose and the repair fixed that problem too.

I would hazard a guess the latter was true.

my 15" macbook pro 2.4 ghz is three weeks old and am very happy it... except for this connection problem.

i have had the same problems with losing my connection and have also noticed another problem. there is a 5-30 second delay when making any initial connection via wi-fi (at home i currently have an older flying saucer 802.11g airport). once the connection is made, the transfer speed is as fast as any. when i take my computer to other locations with wi-fi connections (local coffee shop, client's offices, public wi-fi, etc) i still have the problem. my previous 15" aluminum powerbook never had this issue and my wife is still is using her 13" ibook 1 ghz without issue (at home and elsewhere).

i am planning to buy a time capsule not to solve the problem, but because i need the base station upgrade. i don't like the feeling that i have to buy a new peripheral device to fix a software upgrade conflict. though, i will be happy if it fixes my connection problem. i would also like to believe an internal hardware problem is not to blame in every case, especially when in many cases software upgrade initiates an issue.

thanks for all the solutions posted already and still looking for a fix

-dan

- Tim

My problem has been fixed! Or at least I think it has - I haven't had the problem in several days now.

In my case, the thing that seemed to trigger a fix was to unplug and replug the Airport express that I was using to extend my base station's range through my entire house. Since I did that, everything is working perfectly.

- Tim

after a two hour applecare phone call my slow connectivity problem is seemingly resolved. to reiterate, when pointing to a website, the status bar at the bottom of my safari window would read "connecting to genericweb.com" for almost 30-40 seconds before starting to load the site. once the site would begin loading, the connection was fast as it is normally. if i directly attached a network cable, no issue at all.

first action to help was changing the airport channel to 9. however, results from that change were minimal. ultimately, my network settings were largely to blame. my network settings, which migrated from my previous mac, are apparently not as compatible with leopard. creating a new network location where the airport is the primary connection (at top of list to the left of network pane), then turning all connectivity ports off (bluetooth, firewire & ethernet in my case), except airport.

this has fixed the "connecting to website" issue for me. hope this is helpful for anyone else with similar problems.

cheers,

-dan

For what it's worth, I have an iMac 2.0 ghz Core Duo and a MacBook Pro 17 " 2.4 ghz Core 2 Duo ( I think that gives a good variety of Intel systems at least ) and I have been using their Airport/Wi-Fi capabilities with both my own ad-hoc network and a local public "hot spot" ( I live next to a Community College that provides free Wi-Fi ). I have been running these two since jan 7, and the only "issue" I ever had was when the public hot spot locked access for a few hours once.

This leads me to believe that the problems mentioned above are due to router configuration issues.

I am having to select my 2wire modem and reenter the password after every restart since upgrading to Leopard!

I wish I could narrow it down some more. My Wifi gets dropped much less frequently at home than at my friends (my network is wireless G and my friend's wireless N.) Her newer (Rosetta) macbook doesn't have this problem. I do note that at home that sometimes it doesn't pick up my router which it is assigned automatically. I think that is perhaps due that mine doesn't broadcast it's name (can't remember what that is called techinically)

I heard something about this on a podcast recently, Leo Laporte, I think, or maybe MacWorld. If I remember correctly, they said one should try broadcasting your signal on channel 6 as most routers default to 11. That gives you maximum separation from other signals.

Might be worth a try.

in my case changing the broadcast channel resulted in a minimal change. it made a difference with connection speed. i have still never been able to resolve having to reconnect wi-fi every time my machine sleeps. my quick work around is to turn the airport card off, then back on. sometimes it takes a few times and some time i have to log out and log back in for wi-fi to reconnect.

extremely frustrating.

I heard something about this on a podcast recently, Leo Laporte, I think, or maybe MacWorld. If I remember correctly, they said one should try broadcasting your signal on channel 6 as most routers default to 11. That gives you maximum separation from other signals.

Might be worth a try.

Thanks for mentioning this. Just changed my settings ... hoping this helps.

Will report back.

You might want to run Kismac to see what networks are around you to pick a channel that's not being used. Try to leave at least two channels as a gap (eg, if 1 and 6 are in use, pick channel 3).

And of course, this tool can be used for illegal things such as cracking network passwords, so use it responsibly!

http://kismac.macpirate.ch/

Thanks, Graham.

I checked it out and, not only does it specifically say it's for Pros, it seemed like I'd be in over my head before I read that.

I ended up using iStumbler to check out the networks around me. (MacStumbler is also free, but, I couldn't get it to launch and stay running. Makes me wonder if it's for Leopard)

Does anyone else with leopard have problems with dropping wifi? I always run my macbook on wifi, and have noticed lately that even if I am downloading something from iTunes, I have to restart my router completly. I am just curious if this is happening to anyone else? I am getting a time capsule when they come out!! :D

Seeing exactly the same thing. An issue with leopard that has not yet been fixed by the most recent updates, too.

You might want to run Kismac to see what networks are around you to pick a channel that's not being used. Try to leave at least two channels as a gap (eg, if 1 and 6 are in use, pick channel 3).

this does help with connection reliability at home... however, the problem persists on any connection. unfortunately, it is a leopard issue, i believe, most clearly evident by the title of this topic 'leopard dropping wifi'.

i never encountered random wifi connection drops or inability to connect after waking before buying my new computer with leopard.

sorry if i come across a little bitter, but... i am. the issue if frustrating and it wastes my time.