McKenzie Carlile

Best DVD conversion software

What, in your opinion, is the best DVD conversion software for the Mac platform? On Windows, I was using Cucusoft Video Suite, but I am having trouble re-authorizing the software on my Mac machine. I have heard that Roxio's Crunch is very easy to use and they even sell it at my local Apple Store.

• Like 1

MacCast    80

Can you define what you mean by conversion? Do you want to "back-up" commercial DVDs, author your own DVDs, or just convert video files to different formats?

MacCast    80

Handbrake is probably the easiest one-step tool, http://handbrake.fr/

I personally prefer to use Mac the Ripper to convert the DVD to a VIDEO_TS folder and the run that through VisualHub to do the conversion to iPod/iPhone/Apple TV format. The biggest problem with Mac the Ripper is that the latest version now requires that you give a "gift" to the developer and it is run through the forum at http://www.ripdifferent.com and it all seems just WAY too underground to me. I am still using an older version (2.6.6 and I think) and I believe I have to run it in Tiger.

Someone just turned me on to Fairmount, which I am going to be trying soon as an alternative to Mac the Ripper

Thanks for the help. I downloaded MacTheRipper, and it does seem a bit shady, but I guess I can live with that. Is there any way to reduce file size in MacTheRipper, or will I only be able to do that once I buy VisualHub?

Graham    1

You can buy visual hub, but handbrake will do it all for you - rip the dvd and then compress it into mpeg 4.

podgirl    0

Handbrake is so easy even I can do it (which is kind of like saying your Grandma could manage it.) :)

Huskermn    33

I have recently been able to get a newly downloaded copy of Handbrake to launch so I've just stuck with VisualHub.

I'll try again tonight cuz I'm still curious..

The latest version of Handbrake is Leopard only. Your list of hardware et cetera suggests you are still on Tiger. Maybe that's the problem you're having - though I would have thought Handbrake would tell you that.

angelsfan15    1

The new hand break is superb it has so many different formats that you can make the dvd ripped as it can do low rez ipod to high rez to xbox 360,psp,ps3 its very versatile

mike4dice    0

There is a new entry on this scene "RipIt" from ripitapp.com.

It creates a single file rather than the somewhat ugly VIDEO_TS folder. That single file plays with DVD Player and also can be converted with Handbrake.

Initial tests: was OK on several not real new DVDs, but failed on a few one.

Check it out, I guess!

mike

Edited by mike4dice

nospoon    0

You could also use a hardware solution like Elgato's Turbo.264 video encoding device. It offers drag and drop simplicity for converting to a variety of video formats (iPhone, Ipod Touch, Ipod 640x480, Ipod 320x240, Sony PSP and Apple TV). It includes a USB dongle/thumb drive looking device that plugs in and does the actual video encoding/conversion freeing your Mac's processor(s) to do other tasks. It includes some bundled software on a CD that makes the whole thing work, it shows time remaining and frames per second, another great thing is that you can queue up videos to convert and leave it to task. It does direct upload to YouTube as well.

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/p...roduct1.en.html

Edited by nospoon

Graham    1

That is of course an option, but in our testing, we've found that if you have a mac that was made in the last year or so (basically with a core 2 duo processor) with a healthy amount of RAM (2Gb+), the Turbo.264 is actually slower than your macs processor.

I have recently been able to get a newly downloaded copy of Handbrake to launch so I've just stuck with VisualHub.

I'll try again tonight cuz I'm still curious..

I tried Handbrake recently on Leopard and it kept crashing. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

That is of course an option, but in our testing, we've found that if you have a mac that was made in the last year or so (basically with a core 2 duo processor) with a healthy amount of RAM (2Gb+), the Turbo.264 is actually slower than your macs processor.

A wider viewpoint can be seen here - which isn't to say the above is not good advice.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

I tried Handbrake recently on Leopard and it kept crashing. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

The Handbrake forum (here) may be your best bet - though if you fancy your chances in this one you need to describe what you're doing.

The Handbrake forum (here) may be your best bet - though if you fancy your chances in this one you need to describe what you're doing.

I was mainly just surprised that no one seems to be having any problems with it. I can't even get it to run more than a few seconds before it crashes. Basically I'm putting in the DVD, checking one of the pre-set conversion options (I've tried "iPod" and "Normal"), and clicking "Run". Within about 10 seconds after clicking Run, the whole thing crashes. Either it's a very buggy application, or I'm doing something completely wrong.

I've got the last version out for Tiger - as that's where I'm still at - so I'm sorry to say I can't comment on the Leopard version. For what it's worth I experimented with that Tiger version a few months back and it crashed occasionally - though quite when and why I forget. (It was very rough science.) As mentioned earlier in this thread you could try using "MacTheRipper" to create a hard-drive-based copy of the DVD and then get Handbrake to work on that - which is what I always did as it gave my DVD drive less stick. It may also have been quicker overall - depending on the export format - but I can't say for sure as my notes are not readily accessible as (shock, horror) I used a pen and paper and they got "filed away" when I subsequently moved home.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

Tyranicus    0

This is odd. I've ripped my entire DVD collection (a few hundred) with HandBrake without any issues whatsoever.

Edited by Tyranicus

This is odd. I've ripped my entire DVD collection (a few hundred) with HandBrake without any issues whatsoever.

Does it matter that I have a Combo drive? Does it need a Super drive to work?

Tyranicus    0

Reading a DVD should be exactly the same with a Combo drive as with a Super drive.

AudioMiller    0

Handbrake is by far the best but what setting do you all use? I have been playing with different setting and Im trying to get the best quality for TV out.

roogie    1

I use Handbrake as well, but I rip the DVD to the hard drive first with MacDVDRipperPro since the HD is faster than the optical drive.

roog