Sign in to follow this  
Mark F

Mighty Mouse buttons

I recently purchased a Mighty Mouse and am loving it. My only complaint is that I cannot program the side/whell button to act as a "previous page" or "next page" command while in Safari (like I was able to do with my old microsoft mouse). I've tried creating applescript commands of these actions but I am not very skilled with applescript so nothing seems to work. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to set my side button/wheel button to be previous page/back and nextpage/forward? Thanks.

-Mark

you really like it, huh? i recently went to the mac store to play around with it, and wasn't that impressed. maybe i would feel different if i could program it for my own specific uses.

I'm in an apple store right now testing the mouse and I'm not impressed either.

you dont have to program those buttons. if you scroll left with the ball it's previous page and scroll right for next page. Its pretty cool. I know this works in Firefox, I havent triied it in Safari and im not at my G5 right now.

The only problem i am having is my cursor likes to jump towards the hot corners, i dont think i hit any buttons and it does this in any application. Probally about every 5 minutes. If anybody knows anything let me know if i need a new mouse or not.

Otherwise go by a Might mouse

the "mighty" mouse i used felt really cheap. especially the scroll ball. i think that because it is so small, the scroll ball was kind of "jumpy." maybe i am just old school, but i still am very happy with my plain old single button mouse. it isn't much harder to just use the keyboard shortcuts to navigate the screen.

sorry to re-reply, but i wanted to make everyone realize that the mighty mouse i used was a mac store demo mouse that probibly had quite a few miles on it.

Originally I was really not into the mighty mouse at all. When I tried it in the apple store the ball felt too small and out of place and the tracking felt like the old apple pro mouses (which I despised). However, after my brother got one and i got to use it for a while I found that the scrollball worked great and the mouse started to feel more comfortable. It certainly took some getting used to, but at this point I am definantly starting to enjoy getting back to my desk.

good to know. don't get me wrong, i am not talking bad about them, i am just looking for feedback. as an apple whore, i will buy one. i just needed to know how soon to get one.

Well I love it :)

I think all Mighty Mouse buyers that doesn't like the mouse

because they had higher expectations for it, am I right?

I wrote a reply in the review section, but I still feel this mouse is over priced. It isn't accurate and quick enough for a gaming mouse. The cord is too short. The mouse shape isn't ergonomic like my logitech 5 years ago (at least it was better than the circle mouse at work, couldn't make head or tails). Either the squeeze feature is too sensitive or I have a kung-fu grip. Basically I have shut off all the extras to really use MM efficiently.

Overpriced, yes. I definitely agree that $49.99 is a little too much for a mouse. However for those of us who are speed freaks and video editors who also use the iMate, this is a perfect companion. The level of sensitivity really comes into play when I'm Photoshopping or producing video.

I bought one today and so far I'm pretty happy.

- MT

I was thinking about purchasing the Mighty Mouse, but after reading all of the reviews, I have decided, like others, to wait until there is a Bluetooth version available. Unfortunately, it will probably cost $75. :roll:

How are you so sure that there will be a bluetooth version?

I am not sure. I didn't say that there would be. I said that I thought I would wait until there is one. If there never is one, then I will continue to use my Logitech Trackman Marble with my Power Mac. :)

I would imagine there would be a wireless version at some point whether it is Bluetooth or or something else. Enough people are talking about wanting it now. It is just a matter of time.

Enough people are talking about wanting it now.  It is just a matter of time.
Just like we've all been waiting for the 3Ghz Power PCs and the G5 Powerbooks they promised us last year ? Patience is a virtue so they say... But I wouldn't hold your breath. :lol:

I haven't tried the Mighty Mouse yet and I'm not planning on purchasing one. Why? It's $50 and the mouse I have now works (pardon me while I go and beat it on the pavement).

I'm not at all turned off by the fact that it isn't cordless. I tried out three cordless mice thanks to a very patient Best Buy and I didn't like any of them. I just never got the precision I wanted out of them. Could I have been doing something wrong? Sure. However, I get exactly what I want with a corded mouse and the cord doesn't bother me at all. I guess I just don't get the cordless fascination when it comes to mice. I get it with phones but not with mice.

agreed. when i use my mouse, i am always right in front of my computer. and if you are worried about losing a port, usb hubs are extremely easy to come by.

Some one awesomer the guy's question already. I believe he asked about programming the buttons not what everyone thought of the Mighty Mouse. Ok I got an answer for you. The issue with the the Mighty Mouse that was a bummer to me was that the side buttons are only one button and so having backwards and forwards buttons fuction the way you'd probably like is not really possible. As far as programming your mouse to go backwards or forwards in the browser or do other keystrokes you can get a 3rd party mouse driver like USB Overdrive or Gamepad Controller or any others out there. I use Gamepad Controller and it seems to work quite well. I too at first wanted the side button to be programmed to do the keystroke cmd+left arrow (back in the browser) but I found pretty quickly the button can be really touchy and clicking it once if not carful could take you back like 6-8 pages at a time. That got really annoying after a while so I just went with expose instead. But if you got the hand for it and can be careful enough with the button to where it isn't annoying and fuctions how you like it is quite easy to accomplish this fuction without using AppleScript. Hope this helps.

I've been using a Logitech MX700 since just after buying my eMac. Great precision along with being cordless with plenty of buttons. However when does go dead, it's a pain in the rear. So I picked up another one and just swap them. Always a fresh rat. You've got to go very high end on a cordless mouse to get comparable performance to corded.

Has anyone noticed that the Mighty Mouse squeeks occassionally when clicked?

It didn't happen the first couple days, but every now and then it sounds like a real mouse. Or perhaps I need more sleep.

hey dino,

Natalia has complained about simmilar problems in a different thread in hardware. dont know if she figured anything out or not, but worth checking out