Börkur Jónsson

Switcher needs help

O.k so my mom recently got a mac and I promised to help her move things over. Now I'm having trouble with the email part, I have been successfull in moving over her email and her contacts but I'm having trouble with moving over the contacts groups. I moved the Contacts over through the use of Mozilla Thunderbird which was the only solution that actually didn't give me garbled letters. (We live in Iceland and have several non-US characters that some solutions couldn'thandle.) I've google'ing for a solution regarding this but found nothing. Anybody here got experience with this ?

Best Regards, Börkur

Graham    1

What is being used on windows? When I switched I moved from Outlook 2000 to Apple Mail using Eudora as a stop gap.

apparition    0
O.k so my mom recently got a mac and I promised to help her move things over. Now I'm having trouble with the email part, I have been successfull in moving over her email and her contacts but I'm having trouble with moving over the contacts groups. I moved the Contacts over through the use of Mozilla Thunderbird which was the only solution that actually didn't give me garbled letters. (We live in Iceland and have several non-US characters that some solutions couldn'thandle.) I've google'ing for a solution regarding this but found nothing. Anybody here got experience with this ?

Best Regards, Börkur

I used Plaxo at www.plaxo.com. The free version woul dwork for moving your addresses over. I pay fo rthe plus as I manage my address book from 2 MAC, and a few PC's. It does a good job of keeping them in sync.

Graham    1

Now to answer the actual question.

Here was my process (very convoluted, but it worked).

Export in Outlook to a .pst file, import that into Thunderbird. Export from Thunderbird to Eudora, and then finally export into apple mail.

A pain in the arse I know, but it works and you only have to do it once.

The above route sounds good - and certainly easier than the one I used - with the paid-for (if cheap) application O2M from http://www.littlemachines.com/. (I needed this solution as I was moving both Outlook and Outlook Express data, via Outlook, from a PC to a Mac.) Still, you might try it if you still struggle with "foreign language" characters as this one certainly worked with (Russian) Cyrillic - and you can download and run a limited test to check if it can manage Scandinavian ones.