wtbard

Now 32GB iPod Touch

Apple just added a 32GB Touch for $499.

SWEET!!! Finally an iPod that might be worth buying!

SWEET!!! Finally an iPod that might be worth buying!

I bought a 16GB Touch last month but that's probably good enough for me. If I had waited, I would be having trouble figuring out what to get. I'm more excited waiting to see what third part developers come out with when the SDK is released.

Also a 16gb iPhone, nice!

roog

Perhaps even a 16 GB iPhone with a fruity flavor screen, so it is lickable ;)

and ribbed for your pleasuuuuuure ;-)

Feel all dirty now!!

I got the 16g Touch and hate it for listening to music, worst iPod ever!! But love everything else and cant imagine filling a 32g as I have got so good at managing my library now :-)

I have to say, I'd probably hate the touch. I use the clicker thing on my earbuds to pause and skip songs, and the rocker on the side to change the volume. Would go insane having to take my iPhone out every time I wanted to change something.

I have to say, I'd probably hate the touch. I use the clicker thing on my earbuds to pause and skip songs, and the rocker on the side to change the volume. Would go insane having to take my iPhone out every time I wanted to change something.

The iPhone has physical buttons, the touch does not.

I got the 16g Touch and hate it for listening to music, worst iPod ever!! But love everything else and cant imagine filling a 32g as I have got so good at managing my library now :-)

I have to agree. I prefer my old 30GB iPod for listening to music and podcasts, but love the iPod touch for mail, the calendar and especially notes. I can put my week's schedule on, plan camping trips, grocery lists, etc. Just need to find a good case now.

Twitfan, that was my point...

The 32 gig touch was inevitable, but I don't quite get how apple gets off doing what they're doing...

With the touch, it costs $100 to bump up to the 16 gig giving you an extra 8 gigs. But then if you spend another 100 bucks and get the 32 gig model, you get another 16 gigs. The per gigabyte cost goes down exponentially... but what I'm even more surprised about is how they can charge $999 for an SSD in the Macbook Air, yet we're only paying $100 for 16 gigs of memory....

Anyone else rubbing their head?

Anyway, I bought a 16 gig Touch when they had just come out and still love it (though the 20 dollar software upgrade was a ripoff...grrr). At first i though 16 gigs wouldn't be enough, but I have 4 gigs leftover right now and am only actively listening to about 25% of that 12 gigabytes. You just have to be realistic as to what your going to use...carrying everything around in your pocket is really just a fashion statement.

They can charge that because that's what it costs. They're making pretty much no money from the SSD in the MacBook Air.

Also, they've done it to maintain their pricing model with the iPhone (as in you can have an iPhone or double the storage and no phone for the same price).

Don't know how apple get off doing what exactly? Improving their products? I was first in line to get an iPhone in November (quite literally first in line in the country) knowing that it had been out for six months already, so would probably be replaced soon. Do you hear me complaining that I could have double the space for a mere £50 (which is sod all when you think about how much I'm going to pay through the lifetime of the contract).

No. I accept that things will be upgraded, and at some point I will have an out of date model. It still does exactly what I need, and at the time I thought that it was a fair price for the product.

Edited by Graham

The bump in capacity isn't about music or even video . . . it's about software. Once the SDK hits and developers can actually start programming (officially, anyway) for the Touch / iPhone, memory will get taken up by applications and files. Imagine carrying all your Office docs with you *and* being able to tweak them ('cause who would want to create files from scratch on such a little screen) -- that's going to eat into the memory.

The 32 gig touch was inevitable, but I don't quite get how apple gets off doing what they're doing...

With the touch, it costs $100 to bump up to the 16 gig giving you an extra 8 gigs. But then if you spend another 100 bucks and get the 32 gig model, you get another 16 gigs. The per gigabyte cost goes down exponentially... but what I'm even more surprised about is how they can charge $999 for an SSD in the Macbook Air, yet we're only paying $100 for 16 gigs of memory....

Anyone else rubbing their head?

Anyway, I bought a 16 gig Touch when they had just come out and still love it (though the 20 dollar software upgrade was a ripoff...grrr). At first i though 16 gigs wouldn't be enough, but I have 4 gigs leftover right now and am only actively listening to about 25% of that 12 gigabytes. You just have to be realistic as to what your going to use...carrying everything around in your pocket is really just a fashion statement.

I don't expect any office software to be put on the iPhone or iPod touch. There is a right tool for the right job, editing Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents is probably not what you want to do on an iPhone or iPod touch.

What I hope what will come out after the SDK is released, is a pasteboard application (cut and paste), which is one of the most lacking applications on both the iPhone and the iPod touch. Finally, WiFi with WPA (and a strong 63 characters long pass phrase, e.g. from GRC's Perfect Passwords generator) will become a reality. At this moment, you would either need to lower your security and run the risk of being hacked into, or have two separate networks, one secure for your computers, and one DMZed for your iPhone or iPod touch, to have full security for the rest of your network.

I don't expect any office software to be put on the iPhone or iPod touch. There is a right tool for the right job, editing Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents is probably not what you want to do on an iPhone or iPod touch.

What I hope what will come out after the SDK is released, is a pasteboard application (cut and paste), which is one of the most lacking applications on both the iPhone and the iPod touch. Finally, WiFi with WPA (and a strong 63 characters long pass phrase, e.g. from GRC's Perfect Passwords generator) will become a reality. At this moment, you would either need to lower your security and run the risk of being hacked into, or have two separate networks, one secure for your computers, and one DMZed for your iPhone or iPod touch, to have full security for the rest of your network.

I really don't see the big deal about entering such a long Wi-Fi password. You've only got to do it once.

I really don't see the big deal about entering such a long Wi-Fi password. You've only got to do it once.

To which I have one reply: typos! ;)