darkwolf

Wireless Time machine?

OK, in my opinion, Apple back tracked a bit with the release of the new time capsule. My memory of the keynote last year that Jobs gave indicated that we would be able to back up wirelessly, period, not necessarily with a special apple router. In any event, here is my situation:

I have a 14" iBook G4 which is my primary machine. I also have the older 802.11g Airport extreme base station. First, I heard there was a terminal hack to enable wireless Time machine back up, is this true? Second, is there any way I can make my older Airport extreme base station recognize a hard drive through its USB port? I'd rather keep using the current Base station until it's shot rather than upgrade to a new one if possible.

Yes, it can be hacked to work with a regular airport extreme, and no, it won't work with an 801.11g base station. It would be bloody painful to use over G anyway. Would take days for the backup to finish.

Yes, it can be hacked to work with a regular airport extreme, and no, it won't work with an 801.11g base station. It would be bloody painful to use over G anyway. Would take days for the backup to finish.

If at all possible, use ethernet anyway.

If you only have one computer (as you seem to have), an external HD is always the best solution for a local backup. I wouldn't hassle with wireless backup, through either 802-11g or 802-11n. The sluggishness of the wireless speed just spoils the convenience factor of having no wires.

Just don't fall for Apple's marketing speech. They try to sell you an expensive device, that is not suited for all situations. For a single Mac laptop, I would prefer a much cheaper USB or Firewire external hard disk over a wireless hard disk. Especially those small external drives for traveling are a perfect companion for a MacBook. Provided, of course, you don't actually keep the laptop in your lap, but, instead, put it on a desk or table, so the spinning platters aren't affected by movement. You can move your laptop while it's on, but don't expect the hard disk to last more than two, three years, if you're doing that.

For multiple Macs in one household it is another issue, of course. What solution(s) you chose depends entirely on the application. The biggest problem in a household is often to convince people to backup. If they don't, you have to do it for them, by setting up an automated wireless backup solution. It is not as fast as an external hard disk, and the Macs have a little performance hit, but, at least, the stuff is backed up. You can even back up the backup on an off-site location, so even a fire won't rob you from your electronically stored memories (photos, music, videos) and other precious files.

If you only have one computer (as you seem to have), an external HD is always the best solution for a local backup. I wouldn't hassle with wireless backup, through either 802-11g or 802-11n. The sluggishness of the wireless speed just spoils the convenience factor of having no wires.

Just don't fall for Apple's marketing speech. They try to sell you an expensive device, that is not suited for all situations. For a single Mac laptop, I would prefer a much cheaper USB or Firewire external hard disk over a wireless hard disk. Especially those small external drives for traveling are a perfect companion for a MacBook. Provided, of course, you don't actually keep the laptop in your lap, but, instead, put it on a desk or table, so the spinning platters aren't affected by movement. You can move your laptop while it's on, but don't expect the hard disk to last more than two, three years, if you're doing that.

For multiple Macs in one household it is another issue, of course. What solution(s) you chose depends entirely on the application. The biggest problem in a household is often to convince people to backup. If they don't, you have to do it for them, by setting up an automated wireless backup solution. It is not as fast as an external hard disk, and the Macs have a little performance hit, but, at least, the stuff is backed up. You can even back up the backup on an off-site location, so even a fire won't rob you from your electronically stored memories (photos, music, videos) and other precious files.

That has not been my experience. Now I will be the first to admit that I am currently NOT using Time Machine because I can't do it wirelessly. But I have setup Backup.app (.Mac Subscriber) and I backup to that every night as I have for several years now. This works fine. OCCASIONALLY, when a do a lot of downloading and there is a TON to backup it will take a few hours and I will see it at 6:30 when I get up in the morning. But most of the time it's long done. Depending on your backup strategy backups might only be copying only 500 megs of data per night. Most of my incrementals are like 350MB. Again, I'm not using Time Machine. But I plan on moving to the Time Capsule as soon as they show up at the Apple Store here.

E

If at all possible, use ethernet anyway.

Is it possible to use ethernet first and then use wireless for the incremental backups?

I have 3 macs in the house; a macbook pro, macbook, and a G5 imac.

The iMac is hooked up with a FreeAgent USB drive so that one is fine, but the laptops are wireless and the Macbook is my daughter's who can't remember to charge her phone none-the-less remember to connect an external drive for backups.

Can Time Machine do wireless backups without Time Capsule?

I have a 500G ReadyNAS NV+ (which will soon be 1TB) which I am trying to get time machine working.

Thanks,

Alan