Donald Lorentz

use of old Airport (b) with my new Airport Extreme (n)

Wondering just how new a topic this is...? Here's what I want to do:

I want to use my older Airport (802.11b) not to extend my network, but to segregate it from my Airport Extreme. The basic idea that I had was to have my Airport Extreme ethernet wired to my new iMac and also have it wired (by ethernet) to my old Airport. All of this off the same DSL modem. The basis for approach is that I do not want my older computers, that use 802.11b, to bring down the speed of the Airport Extreme's communication to the Apple TV. I also want to lock down the Airport Extreme with a high security while leaving my current security setting alone for the older Airport connections.

• My other basic concerns range from:
  • is this possible?
  • what is the basic approach that I need to take when setting this up on the airport software for both the new iMac and the old iMac?
  • are there any dumb-it-down wiring diagrams that illustrate the above approach? and
  • are there any OSX 10.4 vs 10.5 issues that need to be addressed?

If this is not the correct approach, how best can I pull this off? I'm looking for references and some guidance from some one that's "been there and done that".

Graham    1

Easy. I do exactly the same with an 802.11g router (not apple, but the principle is exactly the same) and my Airport Extreme N.

20080211-f9y76n8ac4w59msb8u668u78fg.jpg

Your DSL modem plugs into the WAN port on your old airport. Your old airport plugs into the WAN port on your new airport. You can plug your iMac in anywhere you want (didn't read the post properly before making the diagram).

You want one airport to distribute IP addresses. Since I assume your old airport already does this, leave it as it is. When you have your new extreme set up as above, have it set up a new wireless network and apply any security features you wish (although having strong security on one part of the network and weak on another defeats the point. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link). I'd also set it to 5Ghz mode for the fastest speed possible.

No go to the Internet tab of Airport admin utility and set the router to bridged mode. This will ensure that it is not assigning IP addresses.

20080211-cwxa3yjjandyy69k293nbxs14.jpg

That should be it. You will see two separate wireless networks, but as soon as you connect to either you will see all the computers and devices on the network.

This is no different in 10.4 and 10.5, assuming you've got the latest version of airport admin utility installed.

Graham,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll be setting this up 2/12/08... I hope We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the references.

Best regards,

lorentzd

Easy. I do exactly the same with an 802.11g router (not apple, but the principle is exactly the same) and my Airport Extreme N.

20080211-f9y76n8ac4w59msb8u668u78fg.jpg

Your DSL modem plugs into the WAN port on your old airport. Your old airport plugs into the WAN port on your new airport. You can plug your iMac in anywhere you want (didn't read the post properly before making the diagram).

You want one airport to distribute IP addresses. Since I assume your old airport already does this, leave it as it is. When you have your new extreme set up as above, have it set up a new wireless network and apply any security features you wish (although having strong security on one part of the network and weak on another defeats the point. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link). I'd also set it to 5Ghz mode for the fastest speed possible.

No go to the Internet tab of Airport admin utility and set the router to bridged mode. This will ensure that it is not assigning IP addresses.

20080211-cwxa3yjjandyy69k293nbxs14.jpg

That should be it. You will see two separate wireless networks, but as soon as you connect to either you will see all the computers and devices on the network.

This is no different in 10.4 and 10.5, assuming you've got the latest version of airport admin utility installed.

shooter2jim    0

I just got the new Extreme and I have a newer and an older Express. I would like to extend the 5ghz network with the newer Express unit and just join the B network with the older Express so I can connect an old G4 tower. So far, I can get the older Express to extend the b/g, so merely joining the b/g network shouldn't be a problem. I can't get the newer Express to extend the 5ghz signal, even after many factory default resets. I know the 5ghz is working because I've joined it with my MBP and iMac Anyone try this?

Second, can both the 2.4 and 5ghz signals be extended simultaneously using AP Express units?

Thanks!

shooter2jim    0
I just got the new Extreme and I have a newer and an older Express. I would like to extend the 5ghz network with the newer Express unit and just join the B network with the older Express so I can connect an old G4 tower. So far, I can get the older Express to extend the b/g, so merely joining the b/g network shouldn't be a problem. I can't get the newer Express to extend the 5ghz signal, even after many factory default resets. I know the 5ghz is working because I've joined it with my MBP and iMac Anyone try this?

Second, can both the 2.4 and 5ghz signals be extended simultaneously using AP Express units?

Thanks!

I un-checked the "create closed network" box and the Express extending the 5ghz network started working. The Express joining the b/g signal also worked. Now to see if both the 5 and 2.4 signals can be extended. :)