Sign in to follow this  
lkennedy

File manager for OS X ?

I moved to a Mac about 6 months ago and like everything about it except the finder. I am a technical user and the finder is not advanced enough to deal with the sort of things I do. I found a program called Mac Explorer on a mac magazine CD, which is better, but not great. What do people recommend I use ? I could install Nautalus via DarwinPorts, but I would rather find a Native Mac app for this.

Thanks for your help !

Hmm... there is File Buddy, but what kind of technical things are you trying to do?

I was developing some java and found it very hard to constantly move files into my app server's directories without having a separate file.folder view.

Hmm. Can't you just drag an alias of your directory into the sidebar (that's the container area on the left of a Finder window)? Then you you can just drag files onto the icon and they'll be copied right into there. Or, you could just have two (or more) Finder windows open.

Alternately, there is a Finder replacement called PathFinder. It's quite a bit more powerful than the standard Finder. Do a search for it over at VersionTracker.com.

My problem is when I need to copy a folder that already exists in a non-destructive way. This happens a lot with eclipse plug-ins where I need to copy a whole tree without first erasing what is there. Maybe I am just not understanding the Mac way, but this caused me a few hassles. The only way I can get around this at the moment is by using unix command line utilites :cry:

I think what you need is to read up on Finders capabilities. It can do everything Explorer does, you just have to know how to use it because it doesnt have the ugly buttons all over the place.

Well I'd appreciate a hint. The help available through the menu is fairly light and the manuals that came with my Mac don't cover it.

If I try to copy a folder that already exists, it creates a copy or replaces it. I want it to add to the folder. How do I do this (this is the way windows copies by default).

Do you mean moving as opposed to copying? If so, it was a great power tip on a recent 'maccast'. Simply hold the command key while doing your dragging and dropping. This one had me stumped for a while too.

There is also a duplicate command in your 'contextual menu' (right clicking or control clicking) that may be what you're getting at. Your copy wil then show up as folder/filename copy.

If I try to copy a folder that already exists, it creates a copy or replaces it. I want it to add to the folder. How do I do this (this is the way windows copies by default).

I understand what you're trying to do now, but I don't ever remember Windows working the way you state. From what I remember, Windows will replace a folder if you drag a folder with the same name to the directory where said folder resides.

The best way I can think of to do this is to select all the items in the updated folder, and then drag them to the target folder. If there are some items with the same name, a dialog box will appear asking if you want to replace. There will be a check box so you can perform the same option to all duplicates without replying to the dialog box multiple times.