RobinTibbs

MacTheRipper question

since MTR seems to be AWOL unless you 'donate' for beta access I was wondering, is this the only program on the mac that lets you rip a DVD to VIDEO_TS? Handbrake doesn't seem to offer the option, hmmm. Thanks for the help in advance

since MTR seems to be AWOL unless you 'donate' for beta access I was wondering, is this the only program on the mac that lets you rip a DVD to VIDEO_TS? Handbrake doesn't seem to offer the option, hmmm. Thanks for the help in advance

You should still be able to get MTR 2.6.6 from VersionTracker. It's usually listed as one of the top downloads. That version will still work with many DVDs. Also, do a search for FairMount (I believe that's what it's called). HandBrake won't let you save as a VIDEO_TS, but it will allow you to rip a copy of a protected movie to an MP4.

And, I might add, will create the mp4 in great quality if you configure it correctly. IMO, the only real reason to rip it to Video TS is if you want to make a backup DVD ... after all, the versions Handbrake creates will play in iTunes and Frontrow quite well.

If you really want to crack all DVD's my advice is to duel boot into Windows XP or Vista 32 and use a program called AnyDvd (from Slysoft) plus any ripper. There are a few others best. Since I am a recent switcher this is not really a problem for me. I am use Slysofts MobileDvd Ripper and there Basic Ripper. The mobile one can easliy be replaced by handbrake.

If its not too late to chime in:

Mactheripper beta's really are complete programs but adapted every 2 month-ish to overcome the latest copy-write protections.

One thing mactheripper cann do that no other ripper i have used can is copy disk which have been purposely damaged slighly so that when playing they work, however when ripping the program errors. This is becoming more and more common, latest example ratatouille and stranger than fiction.

I have it, though i still get i off piratebay cos the registration steps are ludicrous. I know illeagal and things is not meant to be spoken about this is what i have done:

1) Donate to Geezerbuttz

2) then download it off the pirate bay (currently using this one) http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3891309/Geezer...pper_v3.0.R14i_[App]

I'm mean you could <cough>not<cough> donate and still get it off piratebay. But if you look at the steps required to get a registration (for 1 computer)

Have fun

MacTheRipper 2.6.6 is good - though it lacks the rather handy compression feature of the PC-only application DVD Shrink. Still, I use it and then use Toast to compress if need be. (Incidentally, if anyone knows if the post 2.6.6 version can copy Fawlty Towers Volume 1 - a rogue disc as several forum threads around the Internet will testify - I'd like to know as I might end up buying it if so.) An all-in-one solution is the (paid-for) application DVD2one - which I've only used on trial and never bothered with as I'm happy with the two two steps mentioned above. Handbrake is also good - if a little unstable on batch runs - but is only useful where the main feature is required as is usually the case with movies. It can be a little daunting, though, as all video conversion tools can - but if you stick to the standard setup you should be fine.

Yep mactheripper 3 beta's rip it.

(I ripped backed-up the bbc release which is comprised of 3 disks, then some how they accidentally fell into handbrake and made little .avi babies - woops!)

Thanks for letting me (us) know - also for making me aware that Handbrake provides chapters - something in the guide which I'd overlooked. I've yet to get fully to grips with it - not least the Anamorphic settings - I having only had a bit of an expermimentation with it when converting DVDs of movies to play on a LaCie silverscreen media drive. (I won't bore you with details of that except to say that it didn't like many formats.) So, I'll have a further play - and read - and see what it does in respect of DVDs with chapters.

I had a look for MTR 3 but having read this post about it on Version Tracker I decided to give up. I'll try Fairmount when I've got a bit more time to download and install it.

Finally, I see Handbrake was updated just a few days ago - though it appears to be Leopard-only - no good to me as I'm one of the 80%, I think I read, still yet to make the move. (I may well do so now 10.5.2 is out.) The annoying thing is that if one has the "Check for updates" preference set and chooses "Discard" rather than "Get it now" it fails to launch as it should and one cannot get it it work properly until the preference is turned off. That bug has been reported here.

I've just found this guide/review of HandBrake 0.9.0 which as one comment-maker suggests beats the rather lacking guide which the authors produce. So, now I understand how individual shows of multi-show DVD can be ripped.

Having reviewed my problems with Fawlty Towers it turns out that MTR 2.6.6 was able to rip it but Toast 7.1.3 could not compress it and nor could DVD Shrink on a PC. I'll try and extract the episodes from both the DVD and the ripped image using Handbrake - not exactly what I wanted, in fact, but better than nothing. Of course this is off-topic now so I won't report back unless someone asks me to do so.