Sign in to follow this  
groomsy57

Hide All File Extensions?

My OCD is acting up today and I noticed that some files on my mac show their file extensions and some don't. I know you can change each individual file's preferences for this, but I want to set it for all my files. Under the Finder's preferences I have noticed that there is a checkbox for "Show all file extensions" but mine is unchecked and I'm still getting some files showing their file extensions. Is there a way to hide all the file extensions on my Mac? It's not a big deal, just wanted some kind of unity. Thanks.

Under the Finder's preferences I have noticed that there is a checkbox for "Show all file extensions" but mine is unchecked and I'm still getting some files showing their file extensions. Is there a way to hide all the file extensions on my Mac? It's not a big deal, just wanted some kind of unity.

Nothing built in. It's assumed that there will be some files that you want to see the extension of all the time, so "extension hidden = false" on a file always trumps the global "Show all file extensions" preference.

You could probably write a script to do this, but I wouldn't hazard to guess as to how long it might take. You could use a Smart Folder (search for [File extension hidden][No]) to find the items that need to be changed, and feed that to an AppleScript that sets "extension hidden" to false. I found 46,401 such items in my home folder alone. I'm afraid something would choke on that long a list. Outside your home folder you'd probably run into permissions problems.

Bear in mind that under no circumstances will the system hide an extension if what's left of the name looks like it still has an extension. For example, a file whose full name is "Readme.txt.exe" will always show the full name; it will never be shown as either "Readme.txt" or as "Readme". I hope it's obvious why.

Nothing built in. It's assumed that there will be some files that you want to see the extension of all the time, so "extension hidden = false" on a file always trumps the global "Show all file extensions" preference.

You could probably write a script to do this, but I wouldn't hazard to guess as to how long it might take. You could use a Smart Folder (search for [File extension hidden][No]) to find the items that need to be changed, and feed that to an AppleScript that sets "extension hidden" to false. I found 46,401 such items in my home folder alone. I'm afraid something would choke on that long a list. Outside your home folder you'd probably run into permissions problems.

Bear in mind that under no circumstances will the system hide an extension if what's left of the name looks like it still has an extension. For example, a file whose full name is "Readme.txt.exe" will always show the full name; it will never be shown as either "Readme.txt" or as "Readme". I hope it's obvious why.

Yes, your last example is very obvious. I suppose I may just change some around manually if I run into them. Thanks for your answer.