WVMikeP

Good backup software for incremental backups

I just bought SuperDuper to go with my new external HD (LaCie 320GB) and I'm looking for software that not only can do a full backup, but can do incremental backups as well. This is where I already don't like SuperDuper. Is the Retrospect Express software that I got with the drive worth it in this respect, or should I look elsewhere?

If you are a .Mac subscriber... You might want to look at Backup.app. Not, QUITE worth 100 bucks a year, but has saved my butt a few times. It's pretty much a full featured backup application with some amazing presets.

J

Superduper does incremental backups if you have the paid version. What are you looking for that superduper doesn't do? Lacie does have a better and free backup software than retrospect. It's called silverkeeper.

AFAIK SuperDuper! doesn't do incremental backups. However, SuperDuper! does smart backups, where it only replaces files that have been modified since the last SuperDuper! backup. Incremental backup implies that the old files aren't overwritten. Instead, the new files are added to the backup, hence the name (to increment is a synonym for to add).

I tried Quicksilver until I bought SuperDuper.

I prefer SuperDuper because apart from Smart backups it creates a Bootable backup - vital in the event of a system crash!

Edited by JohnT

SuperDuper for the win. Best backup software I've used on the mac. I have one drive with Time Machine on, and another with a SuperDuper backup that runs every night. The smart backup takes about 10 mins usually on my 160Gb disk.

There are ways to optimize Time Machine. For instance, you can opt to NOT backup your system, and perhaps put the latest combo-updater on a DVD. If you're editing a big file, you can opt to turn off Time Machine, so it will not fill your Time Machine drive, and turn on TM when you're finished. You then have a TM backup of the original big file and the edited version, but not the intermediate files (which you don't want).

However, I would like have the option of selectively deleting intermediate files. I can only hope for some third party software to make this possible.

I just converted from Carbon Copy Cloner to SuperDuper (paid version) so I could do the smart updates once an hour. I will eventually be doing two separate backup strategies. One for smart updates using SuperDuper and time machine for versioning.

SuperDuper appears great at what it does, but what it doesn't do is what I'm looking for: the ability to revert to a prior version and not just the version from the last backup.

Well, then Time Machine sounds exactly what you want. Which is why I use both. I have a bootable superduper backup and I also have my time machine if I decide to go back to a previous version.

There are ways to optimize Time Machine.

....(snip)....

However, I would like have the option of selectively deleting intermediate files. I can only hope for some third party software to make this possible.

I think you can do what you want within Time Machine itself. If you enter Time Machine and warp back to a version of a file you don't want to keep, you can then select the file and use the "Action" menu (the one with the gear icon in the toolbar) to "Delete Backup" (or "Delete All Backups" to remove all version of the file).

I think you can do what you want within Time Machine itself. If you enter Time Machine and warp back to a version of a file you don't want to keep, you can then select the file and use the "Action" menu (the one with the gear icon in the toolbar) to "Delete Backup" (or "Delete All Backups" to remove all version of the file).

Thanks! I already used it to remove an application I really didn't want to "pollute the timeline" (Star Trek reference), because it doesn't work (ripping movies from YouTube).