Sign in to follow this  
big_rich1

Today's Top Podcasts

We've all heard about the recent problems with the iTunes Today's Hot Podcasts chart. You can click the subscribe button as many times as you like and move yourself up the chart. Very Naughty. Then something very strange came to my attention. The BBC holds 7 out of the top 10 places in the chart. Many questions follow.

Is the chart international or am I seeing the UK chart because thats where I am? I find it hard to accept that The Best of Moyles from BBC Radio 1 is the most popular podcast around the world!

Are people listening to the BBC because they are an established company instead of indie podcasters? If they are then why don't other people like CNN and ABC come even close to the success of the BBC in podcasting?

The fact that the BBC are the most successfull podcasting group so far and are destroying everyone else in the charts makes me wonder if they themselves arent cheating at this!

We've all heard about the recent problems with the iTunes Today's Hot Podcasts chart. You can click the subscribe button as many times as you like and move yourself up the chart. Very Naughty. Then something very strange came to my attention. The BBC holds 7 out of the top 10 places in the chart. Many questions follow.  

Is the chart international or am I seeing the UK chart because thats where I am? I find it hard to accept that The Best of Moyles from BBC Radio 1 is the most popular podcast around the world!  

Are people listening to the BBC because they are an established company instead of indie podcasters? If they are then why don't other people like CNN and ABC come even close to the success of the BBC in podcasting?

The fact that the BBC are the most successfull podcasting group so far and are destroying everyone else in the charts makes me wonder if they themselves arent cheating at this!

I believe that you are seeing that because you are in teh UK.

I'm not sure, though... I've heard a couple different podcasts discussing this, like this MacCast and the TWiT, and I've heard mentioned that random international podcasts are showing up in the Top 10. I kinda doubt that Adam or the TWiT guys are browsing the international stores, especially because I don't think that's possible. I think that, for whatever reason, the podcasts are country-free, as opposed to music, but I don't know that for sure...

yes i noticed that too soon after iTunes started doing podcasting. I've just taken another look and the BBC continue to dominate the top 10.

Here's the top 10 according to my iTunes.

1: Best of Moyles (bbc)

2: Today (bbc)

3: Documentary... (bbc)

4: Mark Kermode.. (bbc)

5: BritPod

6: From Our Own.. (bbc)

7: open source sex (oh i say)

8: Pete and geoff (virgin radio)

9: In Business (bbc)

10: File on 4 (bbc)

The BBC also occupy places 13, 14 and 15.

I'd say this is country specific. What do people outside the UK see for their top 10?

..Ant