Sign in to follow this  
MacBen Pro

Mighty Mouse won't scroll...

I've had this Mighty Mouse for almost a year now and never had any problems... But last week it stopped scrolling down. It sill goes up, left, and right, but not down... How can that really be? Isn't it just one sensor in there? Is there a way I can clean it out by taking it apart? Anyone know how to do that? Thanx!

you dont need to take it apart. put some rubbing alcohol on a cloth or paper towel and rub it back and forth across the scroll wheel with the mouse upside down. that'll get all the greasy grime off the ball and allow any dirt to fall out.

That is what I found on this page, only with spit, instead of rubbing alcohol.

Anyway, the trackball doesn't seem to be a single switch, but a full 4-direction sensor, and a click sensor. You should treat it like any trackball, and clean it regularly.

I just roll mine upside down on my trousers and I'm good to go for another few weeks. I use alcohol occasionally, but I'm usually too lazy to get it out.

I found that throwing it down at the floor and stamping hard on the fragmented remains did the trick for me, I then went out and bought a real mouse ;-)

That said I would love Apple to build a mouse that is actually usable and find it hard to believe after all theses years of amazing hardware/software they have yet to achieve the basics when it comes to mice "they have all been crap", its got to be embarrassing when many Mac folks have a Microsoft mouse sat next to the Apple hardware.

Logitech Revolution, the best mouse ever made IMO.

Can't argue with you there, but I'm the typical mac user who takes form over function. It looks so pretty! And is one of the few (only one that I've found) that works without an extra dongle. I tried the MS bluetooth mice, but could never get them to work with my mac's internal bluetooth.

Can't argue with you there, but I'm the typical mac user who takes form over function. It looks so pretty! And is one of the few (only one that I've found) that works without an extra dongle. I tried the MS bluetooth mice, but could never get them to work with my mac's internal bluetooth.

I have tried and you have a point about the form but don't you think its getting "tired" now and looks dated? its seems distant to Apples new design ethos.

The dongle is an issue when using it "on the go" but the track-pad suffices for portability and at home the MX dongle gets stuck into my keyboard USB so makes little difference.

Would a Bluetooth Revolution tease you away from the MM?

Most definitely. Well, when this mouse eventually dies. £55 is quite a bit to just throw away.

Thanx guys! The Alcohol worked perfectly!! And I didn't have to break my Mighty Mouse!

I'd be leery of using alcohol. People who used alcohol on mouse balls (in the pre-optical mouse days) discovered that while it did a good job of cleaning the mouse, it made the rubber turn hard and brittle. After the hardened rubber lost its ability to grip the rollers, the mouse didn't work so well.

I don't know if the ball in the Might Mouse is made of the same material, but I stick to water on mine. I unplug the mouse (so I don't accidentally click on random screen elements), turn it upside down, and roll it vigorously in all directions on a damp cloth. Sometimes you have to repeat, but it eventually comes clean and stays that way for a fairly long time.