hogihung

Webhosting

Hello Adam, and fellow MacCasters,

Adam I believe a year or so ago you had an issue with your web hosting company. I also think you changed providers and I would like to know who you went with. I've been with my provider for over 3 years and am coming up on my renewal. Last weekend they had some hardware failures with a database (mySQL) server and now all of my sites are down - all 8 of them!

I had 2 sites that were more in use than the others, with one of them being new. Of course I didn't get a chance to do my backup. :)

But that is besides the point. For them to have an outage that has taken out all of my sites is unacceptable. So I have little faith that they will restore my data and I will not be renewing, unless they do recover my sites.

Does anyone here have some good suggestions for reliable, well managed and maintained web hosting? I need a web based control panel and the ability to control multiple sites - 8 currently with two new ones in the works.

Thanks,

Ho....

I've been on dreamhost for the past six months, and none of my sites have been down (as far as I know anyway). Incredibly happy with them.

Not too toot my own horn, but I do hosting at very affordable rates. We have full backups and CPanel. And an extremely stable linux server.

J

Not too toot my own horn, but I do hosting at very affordable rates. We have full backups and CPanel. And an extremely stable linux server.

J

Well if you're going to toot, at least include some pricing information ;). I may be interested.

Thanks for the input so far. I'm still looking. They say they will be able to restore all my sites by this Thursday. That is almost two weeks down - luckily the sites aren't as important as this one. :)

Ho...

2 weeks down is ridiculous. I can't believe you haven't changed already. I use Godaddy for a couple of sites and I have never had them go down.

I agree, 2 weeks was way too long. Luckily they were able to restore all my sites up to a day before the crash. I need to add backing up my sites to my backup scheme. It's a little bit harder as I can't just SuperDuper it. :)

Thanks to those who offered some suggestions. I have a few more weeks till my current plan expires. I'd really like to know who hosts this site, or other popular sites like TWIT, Mac Break, etc.

Ho...

I know Godaddy does this site. But they're on dedicated servers, so it's pretty different from the shared hosting you're looking at. I'm not sure who hosts twit, but I have a feeling it's godaddy too. Either that or they've got their own server (which wouldn't surprise me).