RailRider

VisualHub's X-Grid doesn't work on Leopard

Title says it all. There is no support (nor does it appear there will be any) for VisualHub's X-Grid under Leopard. It still works under Tiger. Adam, I know you recommended VisualHub to a caller in the most recent episode, so I thought I would make sure you were aware of this issue.

Title says it all. There is no support (nor does it appear there will be any) for VisualHub's X-Grid under Leopard. It still works under Tiger. Adam, I know you recommended VisualHub to a caller in the most recent episode, so I thought I would make sure you were aware of this issue.

Hi,

After hearing Adam talk about using x-grid with VisualHub, I was excited as VisualHub, although great, is slow on my Dual G5 PowerMac. Was hoping to take advantage of my wife's MacBook when converting. However, we are using Leopard. You stated 'nor does it appear there will be any' (support for x-grid on Leopard). Could you explain why you say this? Did you get a response from the company or did you see a post by them, or was this just speculation on your part. Just curious as to the info behind your comment.

Regards,

Spaceman

Edited by Spaceman

I think I recall it working for Cali and Neal at GeekBrief.TV... I don't own VisualHub so I can't test it, but I'm pretty sure they said they got it working... it was on one of the Big Trip audio episodes.

I think I recall it working for Cali and Neal at GeekBrief.TV... I don't own VisualHub so I can't test it, but I'm pretty sure they said they got it working... it was on one of the Big Trip audio episodes.

Thanks, I'll go and see what they had to say.

Spaceman

Here's the post that I originally read on Techspansion's user forum. Looks like I got it wrong. It appears that they do plan to support X-Grid under Leopard, but they have no set time frame when this will be accomplished:

"VisualHub has been tested on Leopard and its core functions operate properly as of version 1.28.

In countries where commas (,) are used as decimal points, AppleScript framework changes have caused problems with some of VisualHub's calculations. This is fixed as of VisualHub 1.29.

Xgrid Encoding in VisualHub on Mac OS X Leopard, both as an Agent and Controller, does not function.

There are fundamental differences in networked filesystem permissions, Xgrid Agent abilities, and Apache versions that cannot be overcome without tremendous changes to VisualHub's Xgrid module that aren't feasible at this time.

If you use VisualHub's Xgrid Encoding feature heavily, it's advised to stay on Tiger for the time being.

I hope to bring out VisualHub 2.0 with an improved Xgrid workflow, compatible with Tiger and Leopard (and Panther agents) in the future, though no timeframe or deadline is currently set."