monkeywrench67

Which version of Windows should I install?

Sorry - I'm sure this has been covered before (a quick search couldn't locate anything) but which version of Windows should I install on my Mac? I have:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07

SMC Version: 1.17f0

Would Vista fly, or would I be better off with XP?

Vista will work fine on that machine...

But you will be better off with XP, if you HAVE to have Windows. Are you installing in Boot Camp or VMWare/Parallels?

E

I've had the experience of using both XP and Vista on an iMac with just 1Gb RAM and only Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo and found that both worked quite well.

Obviously Vista became a lot slower a lot faster, but on the whole wasnt bad. However if you want a more snappy windows OS then XP is the way to go. I would recommend waiting for SP3 to come out so that you can slipstream SP3, but thats your choice.

I preferred BootCamp as you get to utilize all of the hardware within your mac rather than having to split [especially with RAM] using VMWare/Parallels.

Hope that helps :D

I would use Vista as your system can handle it extremely well, I have used Boot camp in the past but have had problems removing the partition and find that Parallels/ VM Ware works extremely well and is the way to go unless you need the the full system recourses.

XP is faster but Vista is the future and will "get better" and I doubt that you will notice any speed difference and most of the bad press due to "piggy backing" and not based on real world use.

I think that VMWare (Or Parallels if that's your thing) is the way to go. Vista is a resource hog yes, but, that's the majority of people's problems with it. Most people don't like that everything has changed, (Again) and they have a hard time navigating. If you are only an occasional user of windows, go with XP as you are going to be more comfortable with it, without having to RELEARN windows.

Vista isn't the future. Microsoft has already started talking about Windows 7, which if they are smart will not take them 5 years. Vista is here, and it's now, and it's perfectly stupid.

Honestly, XP is a much better choice IMO. It will be less system intensive, you can run it very very well in a small VM and you it will be what you are used to.

E

I think that VMWare (Or Parallels if that's your thing) is the way to go. Vista is a resource hog yes, but, that's the majority of people's problems with it. Most people don't like that everything has changed, (Again) and they have a hard time navigating. If you are only an occasional user of windows, go with XP as you are going to be more comfortable with it, without having to RELEARN windows.

I agree with that. Although Vista has kept Uniformity in icons... the navigation needs getting used to.

Vista isn't the future. Microsoft has already started talking about Windows 7, which if they are smart will not take them 5 years. Vista is here, and it's now, and it's perfectly stupid.

I disagree with that we as mac users would say Leopard is the future, but down the line there is definitely going to be a new OS yet we still have faith in Leopard as many still do with Tiger. Also, Vista is not perfectly stupid. It may not be quite up to scratch but it isnt so bad.

Honestly, XP is a much better choice IMO. It will be less system intensive, you can run it very very well in a small VM and you it will be what you are used to.

Agree again, XP runs a lot better in VMWare/Parallels and probably is the better choice for the time being.

And have you seen how much Vista costs?! Extortionate.

Vista is here, and it's now, and it's perfectly stupid.

I am a hardcore Macintosh fan, and have been since long before I ever owned one, but I grow tired of seeing statements like this. They give us Mac users a bad name.

I am a hardcore Macintosh fan, and have been since long before I ever owned one, but I grow tired of seeing statements like this. They give us Mac users a bad name.

It gives Mac users a bad name to agree with what the Windows users are saying?

Thanks for all of the info. The only reason I would need to run it is that in education, a lot of resources are Windows only, which is ironic since Macs are the computers of choice in schools. We are a 1:1 laptop school using iBooks and I still have to access Windows apps. I was planning on just installing Boot Camp, but it sounds like there are other options that might work better?

I'd use VMWare or Parallels myself if you're not gaming. Much lass hassle over all, and you don't need to restart just for the odd windows app.

Sorry - I'm sure this has been covered before (a quick search couldn't locate anything) but which version of Windows should I install on my Mac? I have:

I use Parallels and have XP2 installed. Works very well. Remember, when you install Windows under Parallels you must assign some of the computer main memory to Windows, the remainder goes to the MAC. I have 2 GB and I give 1 GB to each and they both run smoothly. From everything I read Vista does not exactly run smoothly with only 1GB of memory. Just a thought. Others may give you some more direct input. Also, consider the cost of a full Windows license. XP is considerably cheaper than Vista Premium.

VG

I'd use VMWare or Parallels myself if you're not gaming. Much lass hassle over all, and you don't need to restart just for the odd windows app.

Do I still need to create a partition and install Windows?

No, no partition. You do need to install windows though, but both applications take you thorough that. It installs to a virtual hard drive. Just think of it an another app on your mac.

Do I still need to create a partition and install Windows?

No, Parallels or Fusion will create a folder on your HD and the great advantage this has is when you need to get rid of it, just drag it to the trash ;-)

No, no partition. You do need to install windows though, but both applications take you thorough that. It installs to a virtual hard drive. Just think of it an another app on your mac.

Cool, thanks. I'll try that.

I got Vista 32 bit version. Do not get the 64 bit version a lot of driver issues.

I think it depands through what will you run windows. I heard that parallels are optimazed for vista, about fusion, bootcamp I don't know.