groomsy57

Windows Vista Wired Networking

I turn to you all. I've scoured the internet for an answer, but all the Windows help-sites have offered nothing to help. Here is the story:

I bought a copy of Vista for my dad who had an older computer running XP. I upgraded it for him and the ethernet card didn't have drivers for it (cheap ethernet card) and I could not find drivers for it. I found a Dynex card that did have drivers built in to Vista, so I installed that. To actually get the drivers installed for this card, I had to reinstall Vista... So there's the first hassle. Great. Two hours in and I'm already pretty ticked off. But I digress. I get the card installed and the internet is working (connected to a Netgear router, Netgear handling DHCP; internet is from a DSL line, with Netgear handling the PPPoE). So it's working. Yay! But then after a week or two later, not so much yay action. His internet just stops working. The networking icon in the task bar shows that there is limited to no connectivity. I see that internet connects to a self-assigned IP Address. No problem, I'll make it connect to an IP address instead of it automatically getting one. I put one in that I know is within range of the router's offerings, but nothing. It still won't connect. It shows that it's connected to this IP address, but no connectivity. At this point I'm totally ticked off. I even resorted to calling Microsoft tech support (the worst, btw). I had a nightmare experience with tech support. I became so infuriated, that after being on hold for 15 minutes to talk to a "technician" I just hung up. So frustrating. So I turn to you, a broken man. Any ideas? Or should I just buy him a Mac Mini and just tell him "Use it, learn it, love it."? Thanks for any help, and if you can't give me help, it's alright. As of right now, we are going to try installing another new network card to see if the one we just bought is faulty.

I have no experience with Vista, but I'd look at firewall settings. They've often given me problems on my XP box.

Oh, and try running directly to the DSL modem (after unplugging power from the modem for a few minutes and restarting it) rather than through the router to assure there's actually an internet connection. Heck, if it was me, I'd start by plugging a different machine into the DSL modem.

Networking problems are not unique to Vista, so I try to do all the same things regardless of platform. Start at the incoming signal and work back to the machine.

Either be nice and get him on a mac or put him back on XP. I wouldn't inflict vista on anyone. It's a pile of steaming shit. Excuse my language, but it really ticks me off when this is being touted as an 'upgrade'.

I can plug my Macbook Pro or my little sister's Dell Windows XP laptop into the router and they work fine. So I am pretty sure it's something to do with either the Vista computer or the router + Vista computer. And yes, this computer deserves a 12 gauge shotgun to the side and he deserves a new Mac. If this new network card doesn't work, that's what I'm going to get him.

have you actually gone to the Network and Sharing and actually connected to the network so that vista knows it's allowed to connect to that network?

I tried a lot. However, I just walked my dad through putting in a new network card and now his internet is working again. Hopefully it was just an issue with that network card or that pci-express slot (he placed this one in a new slot). Thanks for all suggestions. It's a pity that it started working though. It would have been a lot easier to sell him on a Mac if his current configuration wasn't working. haha