Dani

Modbook

On the last maccast, Adam made a few comments about Axiotron's Modbook. I don't know if any of you are aware, but Axiotron and OWC have been really messing things up on their end. First, it took a whole year for Axiotron to officially start shipping the product. During that year, they upgraded the specs and worked with Apple to make it an Apple-certified product, so customers took the delays patiently. But the delays continue to plague them - Axiotron started shipping out their backorders, but to this day, they have only made it to the orders they received LAST February. Reports of people actually receiving one are very scarce. On top of it all, Axiotron is slow to respond to questions or notify customers of news. Needless to say, we are all getting a bit cranky.

The only thing that seems to be keeping them afloat is the fact that they have a GREAT product, and many people are willing to wait. But a few people I've heard of have cancelled their orders, and if Axiotron doesn't get their act straight, I'm sure more will follow. They report that they will catch up with all their current orders by March 21, but at this point nobody really believes them because they've heard this time and time and again - for over a year.

The most frustrating thing of all is that Axiotron doesn't seem to be getting any bad press. Sites like Endgadget and Slashgear shout their praises for the Modbook, but fail to mention any news of the issues plaguing their customers who are still waiting.

As a working artist, I love the idea of their product and want them to succeed. I just think that if maybe the world new about these issues, it would influence Axiotron to kick themselves into gear and start shipping their Modbooks and deal with their customers a little better. It's been a very bizarre experience to have this happening with an Apple product, as most Apple software, hardware, and accessory vendors have met and exceeded expectations on this front.

Any of you agree? Has anyone heard of people receiving their Modbooks? Adam, you think you could make a mention of this on the show?

You might also look into the Toshiba M-series convertible laptops with touchscreen, which seem to be very handy to draw on. They don't run Mac OS X, but these products actually are on the market, unlike the modbooks.

I use a Wacom enabled life book Tablet and have for the past couple of years, its running Windows XP tablet edition and I use it for graphic work. Its amazing being able to work directly on the screen however the only drawback is having to run CS3 on Parallels when im on my Macs.

If you only need a tablet for graphic work the you should check out the Wacom tablets, im saving my pennies for a Cintiq 21 :-)

Yeah, a bunch of people that are waiting are considering just buying a Windows tablet. But the whole point for me is to have a Mac. I've considered a Cintiq too, but another factor for me is portability. Even the new Cintiq 12WX is not the greatest solution for artists on the go, because of all the cables.