Barnstaple Macguy

Keyboard and Mouse problem

Help! Last weeked, for no obvious reason, the volume keys and the eject button on my white keyboard stopped working. same time, my mighty mouse squeeze and scroll ball buttons stopped, as well. I was not updating or anything- and I have restarted the mac, and switched the usb ports, just in case- same problem. I have searched google for assistance, but no luck; any ideas?

Cheers!

If you are able to, try resetting the PRAM.

Turn on your Mac while holding Cmd + Option + P + R

Your Mac will reboot.

Once you hear the 2nd chime, you can let go.

I'd restore defaults to Keyboard Shortcuts in Keyboard/Mouse preferences and make sure nothing in Universal Access is out of the ordinary.

Thanks guys. I have tried the clear ram, and nothing has changed. Also, I have reset the defaults on the keyboard/ mouse panel, and the universal access bit- still no joy.

Help!!!!!

Incidentially, at the same time as I had this problem, the volume and DVD tray icon appeared in my top right menu bar.

Thanks folks.

Actually- just noticed- the whole numerical keypad is broke- except the enter button! PLEASE help- it's doing my nut in- I reall miss the volume and eject buttons!

Simon

Incidentially, at the same time as I had this problem, the volume and DVD tray icon appeared in my top right menu bar.

I wonder if your computer has mistaken your keyboard for a different model. It may have automatically added those menus because it thought your keyboard doesn't have the corresponding keys. You might try unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in again.

Oh, wait, you say you switched USB ports, just in case. I guess that means you unplugged keyboard/mouse and plugged them back in again already. Have you tried plugging them back in one at a time? (Unplug mouse, unplug keyboard, connect mouse directly, see if it works, unplug mouse, connect just the keyboard, see if it works, ...)

What about other USB devices? Maybe one of them is disrupting communications on the bus, perhaps because of a loose connection.

Do you have a different keyboard you can try? (That's my hunch at this point. Sounds like hardware, now that you've eliminated the usual software suspects.)

Once you get the keyboard working again, you can delete the menus by command-dragging them off the menu bar.

Try reinstalling your keyboard and mouse software. Generally, if the eject button is appearing in your menu bar, your Mac does not recognize there is an eject button on your keyboard, which means it probably thinks it's another keyboard. Try finding the keyboard and mouse software and reinstalling that.

I am beggining to agree, that it is a hardware problem. It's a bog standard white imac keyboard, so there is nothing I can install/ uninstall; it does seem strange that it is only the 1-0 keys, the . key, and the multimedia keys on it that are broken. The =/*-+ an enter all work fine.

Strange. Still, may be a great excuse to get one of those shiny silver keyboards! Mmmmmmm....

Thank you folks- it's great to know your out there!

Simon

I am beggining to agree, that it is a hardware problem. It's a bog standard white imac keyboard, so there is nothing I can install/ uninstall; it does seem strange that it is only the 1-0 keys, the . key, and the multimedia keys on it that are broken. The =/*-+ an enter all work fine.

Strange. Still, may be a great excuse to get one of those shiny silver keyboards! Mmmmmmm....

Thank you folks- it's great to know your out there!

Simon

Sure sounds to me like you have Mouse Keys enabled in Universal Access.

And, BTW, Groomsy, I have the Eject Button in my Menu Bar and it in no way affects my use of the Eject Button on my Keyboard

Hey thanks! Ihave checked the universal access again- it was turned on, and that has got back my number keys. It's just the media keys and the squeezy mighty mouse button which does not work now.

So I am getting there- any more thoughts?

Thank you again.

Simon

Sure sounds to me like you have Mouse Keys enabled in Universal Access.

And, BTW, Groomsy, I have the Eject Button in my Menu Bar and it in no way affects my use of the Eject Button on my Keyboard

I didn't mean that it affects the functionality of the eject button the keyboard. I just simply meant, that in most cases, when you hook a non-Apple keyboard into, say, your iMac, the eject button will show up in the menu bar. It's a way to give you quick eject access when you don't have an eject key on your keyboard. I noticed this when working with third party keyboards. Sorry if I was unclear. I thought it might have been a sign that his computer wasn't recognizing that he had an Apple keyboard and it was mistaken it for something else. Sorry for the unclear comments.

Hey thanks! Ihave checked the universal access again- it was turned on, and that has got back my number keys. It's just the media keys and the squeezy mighty mouse button which does not work now.

So I am getting there- any more thoughts?

Thank you again.

Simon

Hey, you may want to check under your Keyboard & Mouse preferences and see what this option says under the 'Keyboard' tab:

Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys

To use these multimedia keys as expected, it should be unchecked. If it's checked, then you must press and hold the Function key whilst pressing the multimedia keys. Just thought of this, but I've had that option changed on me before and it threw me for a loop.

Sorry- I have tried to find that tick box for the 'use function keys as function keys', but can't- where could I find it?

THANK YOU.

Simon

Sorry- I have tried to find that tick box for the 'use function keys as function keys', but can't- where could I find it?

THANK YOU.

Simon

Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse Preferences, under the "Hardware" section. Under the Keyboard tab, you should see this:

Keyboard_Pref.png

The check box there in the middle of the pane should be it. Let us know if this is your problem.

You won't find it. That option is only present on laptops that don't have a full set of keys. On their keyboards, there's a row of keys that do double-duty. They can either act as Fn keys (F1, F2, F3, etc.), or they can act as the special keys (volume up/down/mute, eject, etc.). There's an extra key labeled "Fn" that acts as a shift key between these two interpretations. groomsy57 is directing you to the system preference for which interpretation prevails if you don't press "Fn".

You have the white keyboard, with enough keys that Fn and the specials all have their own separate keys.

The good news is that if you can't find that option in System Preferences, it means that the OS doesn't think you have a laptop keyboard. The bad news is that it's probably thinking you have a third-party keyboard, one that lacks eject, mute, etc. (so you need those functions in the menu bar) and also lacks the "Fn" key (so you don't need to configure it in System Preferences).

At this point, the only things I can think of are to Repair Permissions (which, I think you have already done) and reapply the most recent combo updater for your system.

You won't find it. That option is only present on laptops that don't have a full set of keys. On their keyboards, there's a row of keys that do double-duty. They can either act as Fn keys (F1, F2, F3, etc.), or they can act as the special keys (volume up/down/mute, eject, etc.). There's an extra key labeled "Fn" that acts as a shift key between these two interpretations. groomsy57 is directing you to the system preference for which interpretation prevails if you don't press "Fn".

This is not true. You get this option with the new metal keyboard (wired) as this screen shot was taken from my iMac. This option is present when you have Apple Keyboards that have special function (media in this case) keys that are on F- keys. However, I could not remember the layout of the old white keyboard (as I never had one), but I thought it may have been similar to the new keyboards.

Ok, repaired permissions, with a restart afterwards, no good; still the 4 keys (volume up & down, mute and eject) not working, and the squeeze the mouse one. Oh,and the middle button on the mighty mouse.

What now? Any ideas? :blink:

Thank you for your help so far though.

Simon

Oh yes- I did not have those options on my settings, just 'modifer keys'.

Ok, repaired permissions, with a restart afterwards, no good; still the 4 keys (volume up & down, mute and eject) not working, and the squeeze the mouse one. Oh,and the middle button on the mighty mouse.

What now? Any ideas? :blink:

Thank you for your help so far though.

Simon

Oh yes- I did not have those options on my settings, just 'modifer keys'.

Under the Keyboard & Mouse preferences, under the "Mouse" tab, can you show us a picture of what it looks like? Thanks, I just want to see what all the settings look like.

I have been through the mighty mouse troubleshooting, thanks- it does show in system profiler as it should, so that is a blank.

Hmmm... I have a couple pics, one of the mouse button settings, and one of the profiler; how do I post them on here? I have tried cut and paste, with no joy.

Simon

I have been through the mighty mouse troubleshooting, thanks- it does show in system profiler as it should, so that is a blank.

Hmmm... I have a couple pics, one of the mouse button settings, and one of the profiler; how do I post them on here? I have tried cut and paste, with no joy.

Simon

You have to host the image somewhere (flickr or imageshack) and get the link and put it in there that way. There is a button in the post editor (looks like a landscape image) that you click on and put the picture's URL there.

Picture%203.png

Picture%2020.png

Picture%2010.png

Hope this works- and helps!

Thank you as always. These keys (or lack of them) are doing my nut in.

Simon

Well your machine is recognizing that it has an Apple keyboard and mouse connected to it. I'm kind of stumped as to what could be causing the problem. I don't want to suggest getting a new keyboard and it not fix your problem. Did you reinstall the latest combo update for your machine? I know it was suggested earlier, but I didn't see your response on it.

I have tried to do the update, but it will not let me, saying my drive does not meet the requirements; must be because I have installed it already, I would have thought?