Barnstaple Macguy

Keyboard and Mouse problem

OK, just to add to the problem, I have just got a metal wireless keyboard (sexy!). Looks great, but the media keys still do not work, neither does the eject key. Tried the update, nothing there to update; tried to install the latest update 'pack' from Apple, no good- just says that the drive is not suitable for the update.

Getting to the stage where I am about to give up, and just accept that it doesn't work. Thing is, that is a windows approach, not a Mac approach.

Any last thoughts?

Thanks folks.

Simon

Amazing! That worked on my keyboard- brilliant!

Just my mighty mouse left- the squeeze buttons have stopped working. Can't find any Apple updates for it- any ideas?

But- my keyboard works- so I am halfway there!

THANK YOU SO FAR!

Simon

Since the mouse is being detected by your mac and you've got it set up correctly, I'd go with a hardware fault. Time for a replacement methinks.

Just for giggles, try plugging the mouse into the keyboard port so it's not on the same port as the external HD. It may make no difference but it's one more thing to try before buying a replacement.

Yeah, tried swapping it around, cheers; no change. It is only the squeeze button which does not work, so not tooo much of a chore; especially with the biutton on my LOVELY new keyboard.

Unless someone has any bright ideas, I guess I am stuck with it.

Thank you guys though- been a great help.

Simon

One trouble-shooting technique I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread, and not even mentioned in Apple's "Trouble Shooting Mighty Mouse" page, is: have you tried logging in as a different user?

Yes- have logged on as a different user, and the mouse squeeze button is still not working.

Does this suggest hardware problem then?

Simon

Either that or something is wrong with your core system files. The next step is to do a completely clean install and restore your user directory from your backup (which you do have, right?) with Migration Assistant.

I'd still go with hardware fault though.

It would be great if you had a close friend with a Mighty Mouse that you knew worked on their machine, or take your Mighty Mouse and try to use it on a friend's machine to test it. I've had to do this many times, and thankfully I have two people that I know well enough to do this troubleshooting technique with. Happens to be the only two people I know really well that have a Mac too. haha