zealousagenda

Wonkiness of 15" MacBook Pro w/ Penryn

I've been searching for forum postings and blogs that provide details of other users problems with the newly released 15 inch MacBook Pro with the Penryn processor and multitouch. I'm running Leopard, and before I did anything else I ran all of the software updates.

There are very long delays before it lurches into action. This is best shown by the Disk Utility during permissions repair, where the on-screen status says the repair will take less than 1 minute, and the process does not complete for at least 9 minutes, with the first 7 minutes indicating nothing happening.

Parallels 3 misbehaves regularly, with installation of a WinXP virtual machine timing-out or failing and restarting regularly. I read forums and found that I should do a custom install, step-by-step, increasing the allocated RAM. That was helpful, as I could proceed further into the installation process, but ultimately the installation fails, or it restarts repeatedly.

I booted to the Leopard install disk in order to repair the disk, but that didn't solve any problems. I've reinstalled Leopard, only to sadly learn that the same problems persist. I will try calling AppleCare tomorrow.

Is anyone else having these problems, or other wonkiness with the Penryn MBP? Any other suggestions?

There are very long delays before it lurches into action. This is best shown by the Disk Utility during permissions repair, where the on-screen status says the repair will take less than 1 minute, and the process does not complete for at least 9 minutes, with the first 7 minutes indicating nothing happening.

This is normal since the update to 10.5.2.

If you open Activity Monitor and click on the Monitor Process button, it becomes immediately apparent what's going on here. The process is spending almost all of its time updating an sqlite3 database. Before it can actually get on with checking permissions, Repair Permissions has to determine what the correct permissions should be. It does this by scanning everything in /Library/Receipts, merging the enclosed .bom files and resolving conflicts based on timestamps and version numbers. Apparently 10.5.2 changed the way this merge is done. Instead of building the list in RAM, it apparently now builds it in an actual database. This takes a lot longer. Worse, they forgot to account for the extra time when calculating the progress bar, so it appears to freeze about 1/8 of the way in with "about 1 minute left" for about 10 minutes. The freeze is illusory; it's actually making progress during this time.

I've had reports that it's only the first Repair Permissions that's this slow, but that hasn't been my experience. I'm hoping that their plan is to use the database to cache the results from a previous scan, making future repairs much faster. (Or, sqlite3 has the ability to keep a database entirely in RAM, and maybe they used to do this for some reason don't on 10.5.2.)

But at least for now (and at least for me), successive repairs take just as long, even if I repeat them immediately.

I have the same machine (MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz, 256 MB VRAM, multi-touch), and I have not experienced any of the problems you detail. Mine has run flawlessly (knock on wood!). I reinstalled Leopard from the included DVD when I got the computer home, and I have used Software Update to bring the system up to the latest updates available.

AppleCare should help you. Please post a follow-up if you have time. Thanks.

As said above. The system is new. Don't bother screwing around with it just make them fix it. The system should at least be good at the beginning.