Sign in to follow this  
BCMacDude

Final Cut Express

I'm a college student with not a whole lot of money.

I've been doing a lot of movies/video editing lately just on iMovie and having my brother do some editing with FCP (he gets it from his school).

I'm trying to get into more editing and even might get a little job making movies here and there for my school.

Should I get Final Cut Express? What are the main difference between it and the Pro version.

I don't know if I have any other options than Final Cut Express at the price point it offers. Any ideas?

let me know

thanks

It seems that Final Cut Express is not compatible with Final Cut Pro. I'm told it is another product line.

I'm sure you can get a discount on the Final Cut Studio if you're on a school. Look on Apple's Educational website:

http://www.apple.com/education

edit: typo

Edited by Ignoracious

I'm sure you can get a discount on the Final Cut Studio if you're on a school. Look on Apple's Educational website:

http://www.apple.com/education

If you have a place on campus that sells Apple software, definitely check there. We have a place on our campus here at the University of Louisville that sells Final Cut Express for like $50. We also get iWork for like $50 as well. Big savings.

Edited by groomsy57

Yeah, but if his brother is using FCP, then, like Ignoracious said, he'll need to get Final Cut Studio .... would Campus Stores have that on sale with a discount?

Well the education store through my uni's network has studio at £548.73 vs the regular price of £849.00, so I'd guess that a campus store will offer a discount on it.

Yeah, but if his brother is using FCP, then, like Ignoracious said, he'll need to get Final Cut Studio .... would Campus Stores have that on sale with a discount?

Sorry I missed that part. I am not too familiar with the Final Cuts. Only video editing I've ever done was through iMovie and that worked well enough for me. haha

Wow Lots of responses already! thanks for the feedback.

Although my brother does use FCP, he is MUCH more adept at editing than I am. I'm not near his level, but would like to get there eventually.

I'm not sure I would need the features of FCP, but can anyone point out the differeneces between the 2 editions? I know FCP, er Studio has Soundtrack/Motion and all that. Anythign really besides that?