Sign in to follow this  
nospoon

Do you think Apple will update the Airport Express to the 802.11n standard?

Well Apple hasn't updated their Airport Express (w/ AirTunes) to 802.11n draft standard like they did with the Airport Extreme and Time Capsule device/router. Does anyone think we'll see an updated Airport Express and if so do you think it will happen?

It might happen when 802.11n goes final. But since the appletv has taken over it's only unique selling point (airtunes), I have my doubts.

Yeah, and now that they are trying to push the TimeCapsule, Apple might just consider the Extreme their "new low end router". Also, at the Apple site it says the Express ships in 2-3 weeks as opposed to 5-7 days for Time Capsule and only 24hrs for Extreme ... maybe getting ready to drop the Express?

It might happen when 802.11n goes final. But since the appletv has taken over it's only unique selling point (airtunes), I have my doubts.

What Apple TV doesn't provide is a way to put a device with a very small footprint into electrical sockets throughout the house. Sure, you could put an Apple TV in any room that needs an audio output, but they're not as convenient to hide.

Apple TV's are also overkill for those who just want to extend the range of their base station. That's something that AE does quite well.

I don't know if there's strong enough reason for Apple to keep making the AE or not - Mine has served me well and I wouldn't want a full Apple TV to replace it. However, I do think that they need to update it if they plan to keep it around. It's just not acceptable as a long-term solution as it is: Slowing down my 802.11n network just to keep the AE plugged in is not acceptable.

- tim

Good point Timothy. There will still be demand for a smaller music-only device

Good point Timothy. There will still be demand for a smaller music-only device

There is an Apple Airport update out today, I'm not sure if it will address your issue but it may be worth checking out.

roog

What Apple TV doesn't provide is a way to put a device with a very small footprint into electrical sockets throughout the house. Sure, you could put an Apple TV in any room that needs an audio output, but they're not as convenient to hide.

Apple TV's are also overkill for those who just want to extend the range of their base station. That's something that AE does quite well.

I don't know if there's strong enough reason for Apple to keep making the AE or not - Mine has served me well and I wouldn't want a full Apple TV to replace it. However, I do think that they need to update it if they plan to keep it around. It's just not acceptable as a long-term solution as it is: Slowing down my 802.11n network just to keep the AE plugged in is not acceptable.

- tim

Their also great to share a USB printer (without wireless capabilities) with multiple Macs or PC's on a network at "n" speeds. Its also great if you travel a lot and need a portable router or access point to extend your hotel's weak wireless signal or whatever.

I am also excited about this. Not because I need an N device but because it means at least for a while longer the express is off of life support. I love my express.