Sign in to follow this  
curt

Westell 6100 modem and Bellsouth anf airport extreme

I still am not clear on how to use my airport extreme with this modem. I have to set it (the airport extreme) to bridge mode since the Westell seems to be acting as a router.

How can I change the modem so that I can use the airport extreme as the only router?

What is the latest upgrade for this modem? Would I be better off getting some other modem to work with Bellsouth DSl?

Any reason why this set up is unacceptable? A router is a router. Fair enough if you're talking about an enterprise setting, but for home there's no need for a more elaborate setup. You still get all the features of the AirPort Extreme using it this way (which is what I do).

Any reason why this set up is unacceptable? A router is a router. Fair enough if you're talking about an enterprise setting, but for home there's no need for a more elaborate setup. You still get all the features of the AirPort Extreme using it this way (which is what I do).

Thanks for the reply. I guess this is acceptable as is -- but have problems with the modem and speed changes. I am on DSL via Bellsouth and can only get the service that promises up to 1.5 megs. At most, I get 1.1 megs down and .250 up. But it varies quite a bit and can drop down to as low as 250 kb down. When it does this if I turn the modem off and back on the speed will come back up. I even have a timer set up to turn it off an back on every 24 hours.

Thought maybe this was in someway related to being a router rather than a bridge. Probably not. Have had Bellsouth check my line many times with no resolution of the problem.

Have a macbook pro, imac, and apple tv on the network. My Westell modem is about 5 years old.

Maybe this will help you:

http://www.flex.com/adsl/westell_6100/

Thanks for the link. The modem looks newer than mine and has USB. I have a pretty old modem and the warnings in this link scare me a bit. Maybe the best is to leave well enough alone and stay away from changing to a bridge.

Maybe my best bet might be to go to cable since I am limited by speed on Bellsouth ---

DSL speed was said to be constant but mine varies all over the place - bur maybe its not the modems fault.

If the max you can get is 1.5 and you're getting 1.1, that's pretty good. I'm on up to 24meg and I usually get about 15-16. I'll bet it is slower at weekends and in the evening, right? That does sound a little excessive, but it will get slower during peak times. But yep, switching dsl provider or to cable is probably your best bet.