Sign in to follow this  
Dolphbucs

Airport Express Enough?

OK gang. I just got a 17" MBP for my birthday this year ( I know, I've got a really great brother ). Anyway, currently I just use Internet Sharing through an Ad-Hoc network I set up using my iMac as a base station. To get the benefit of using a router as a hardware firewall, I was finally going to break down and get an Airport Extreme ( I still might even get a time capsule but I have plenty of external HD's and as I understand it I can use Time machine with networked HD's through file sharing ) So, My question is, since I only have the two computers on my network ( possibly a third if my roommate gets a laptop ) would there be any real advantage to the Extreme or will the Express do just fine? The only advantage I could see with the Extreme would be that I could hardwire one of my computers to the network with Cat 5. Am I missing anything?

You can't attach hard drives to the express (you can with time capsule and the extreme), the express is the only apple networking device to still operate at 802.11 g speeds - although your iMac will only have a g card in it anyway, so you'd only get the speed benefit on your laptop when your iMac isn't using the wireless network - if you went the time capsule or extreme route, I'd hardwire your iMac to it and turn the AirPort card off.

Thanks Graham. I thought I might be missing something. I totally overlooked the speed issue. So, just to confirm, If I get an Extreme or Time Capsule, and hook up the iMac to it via Ethernet with Airport turned off, I will then get 802.11n speed with my Laptop ( as long as I don't have any other devices drawing on the wi-fi with a slower card attached ). Cool, that's indeed the way to go. Thanks again.

One last question, an external drive hooked up to the router via USB, will that show up as a mounted drive on each computer's desktop, or will it show up as a network device?

Edited by Dolphbucs

Yes, that's correct.

Hard drives hooked up to USB on the Extreme and Time Capsule mount as network drives.

20080315-6r43i1d53kxkwhgbi4fmpy67s.jpg

Gotcha. Thanks again. BTW What app are you using to do those great labeled screen captures?

You can't attach hard drives to the express (you can with time capsule and the extreme), the express is the only apple networking device to still operate at 802.11 g speeds - although your iMac will only have a g card in it anyway, so you'd only get the speed benefit on your laptop when your iMac isn't using the wireless network - if you went the time capsule or extreme route, I'd hardwire your iMac to it and turn the AirPort card off.

if i were a betting man, i'd say the 802.11n airport express is coming soon. apparently it leaked on the swiss apple site. see this post.

And, as if on cue, Apple did just that today. New Airport Express 802.11n is $ 99. I will still need to use an Extreme or TC, though because, as Graham pointed out, if I run my iMac using the Airport, my network will just revert back to g anyway.