desertrose0601

My "new" eMac!!

I just bought an eMac G4 off of eBay! (The ad says it's still working, but I don't have it in my possession yet so I don't know for sure). It's 1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, and 60 GB HD. It's not as cute as the iMacs, but it's cheaper!! And it is a lot faster than my iBook G3 (600 MHZ, 256 MB, 20 GB). Also, it's fast enough to load Leopard on there, which will be cool!! (I haven't yet been able to play with Leopard, b/c my G3 didn't like it.)

Oh btw, my iBook died recently - due to the infamous logic-board problem - hence my needing to find a "new" Mac. So sad to see it go, but I hadn't the first clue how to replace a logic-board, so I sold it on eBay. Hopefully it will have a happy life with it's new family (once it's fixed).

So as my computer withdrawl symptoms started kicking in, I was browsing eBay for a newer, but still inexpensive, computer to buy. Unfortunately the only ones in my price range (under $250) were PCs :( Which made me feel dirty just to think about buying them. But then I saw this eMac! I have hopes that it will be a nice Mac for me. Yeah!!

Huskermn    33

I bought a used eMac off Craigslist last fall for my partner son. I think it was $285 and runs great.

Like any old Mac I buy, I bumped the RAM to max (I think 1Gb but don't know for sure).

Sorry to hear about your iBook. I still have mine but I was 'lucky' enough to have the logic board problem occur while Apple still fixed for free. I did spend $150 to upgrade the HD in it when the original died last summer.

podgirl    0

Hope you like it! We bought a used eMac for our little boys and it's a great machine.

I bought a used eMac off Craigslist last fall for my partner son. I think it was $285 and runs great.

Like any old Mac I buy, I bumped the RAM to max (I think 1Gb but don't know for sure).

Sorry to hear about your iBook. I still have mine but I was 'lucky' enough to have the logic board problem occur while Apple still fixed for free. I did spend $150 to upgrade the HD in it when the original died last summer.

Thanks. Yeah, the iBook was such a sweet little machine! I'd bought it used, so I knew it wouldn't last terrbly long, but I was still pleasantly surprised at how robust it was given how old it was! I upgraded the disc drive to a combo drive and added an airport card. I would've kept using it but the logic board problem seemed too daunting! Oh well. As my introduction to the Mac, it served me well!

roogie    1
Thanks. Yeah, the iBook was such a sweet little machine! I'd bought it used, so I knew it wouldn't last terrbly long, but I was still pleasantly surprised at how robust it was given how old it was! I upgraded the disc drive to a combo drive and added an airport card. I would've kept using it but the logic board problem seemed too daunting! Oh well. As my introduction to the Mac, it served me well!

Congrats on your "new" eMac, they are great machines!

roog

Congrats on your "new" eMac, they are great machines!

roog

thanks. :) it should be coming by FedEx tomorrow!! I can't wait! I've already been browsing online for software and games I can buy now that I'll have a (relatively) faster computer! W00t!! :)

JSYedinak    0

I bought 3 of these systems from my kids school for our 3 kids for $35 each! Just added a Wireless Extreme card for $20. Also loaded Tiger and in one case Leopard and they run great!

Sincerely -

Jeff Yedinak

I just bought an eMac G4 off of eBay! (The ad says it's still working, but I don't have it in my possession yet so I don't know for sure). It's 1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, and 60 GB HD. It's not as cute as the iMacs, but it's cheaper!! And it is a lot faster than my iBook G3 (600 MHZ, 256 MB, 20 GB). Also, it's fast enough to load Leopard on there, which will be cool!! (I haven't yet been able to play with Leopard, b/c my G3 didn't like it.)

Oh btw, my iBook died recently - due to the infamous logic-board problem - hence my needing to find a "new" Mac. So sad to see it go, but I hadn't the first clue how to replace a logic-board, so I sold it on eBay. Hopefully it will have a happy life with it's new family (once it's fixed).

So as my computer withdrawl symptoms started kicking in, I was browsing eBay for a newer, but still inexpensive, computer to buy. Unfortunately the only ones in my price range (under $250) were PCs :( Which made me feel dirty just to think about buying them. But then I saw this eMac! I have hopes that it will be a nice Mac for me. Yeah!!