angelsfan15

moving music from itunes on a p.c. to new mac

How can i move my itunes music from my p.c. on to my new mac? :blink:

Congratulations on your new Mac! To move your iTunes music over, just backup your music library to a disc (there is an option to "backup iTunes library" in the "File" menu, I believe). Then insert those discs into your Mac. iTunes should open automatically and ask you if you want to import. If it doesn't open automatically, just drag the cd icon onto the iTunes icon, and that will trigger it asking you to import.

If you don't have an iPod big enough, you can always get a cheap ethernet cable (assuming you don't have a network set up already here) and plug it between your mac and pc. Normally you'd need a special kind of cable to do this, but since macs are clever it works all on it's own. You need to right click on your iTunes folder on the pc and choose sharing, and then choose to make it available to everyone on the network. It will then appear in the Shared section of the finder, where you'll be able to copy your music and library to the Music/iTunes folder in your home folder.

Yes as long as it's formatted in a way the mac can read (fat 32 preferably, but OS X can also read NTFS but it can't write to it). Just Copy your My Music\iTunes folder onto the disk, then on your mac, copy the iTunes folder to ~/Music. Easy, job done. iTunes will pick up the new library and all your playcounts, playlists and music will be there.

As I'm assuming you're new to the mac "~" refers to your home folder which lives at /Users/yourusername.

Do you mean...

1. Place the Windows version of the iTunes library on an external drive and get the Mac to utilise that?

2. Place the Windows version of the iTunes library on an external drive and get the Mac to import that?

3. Store the Mac version of the iTunes library on an external drive - i.e. after conversion from Windows?

4. Back up the Mac version of the iTunes library on your Mac to an external drive?

5. Something else?

Then the answer I gave stands.

i was wondering... if i drap my whole itunes folder from one mac to the other it will keep all the specail data right? (i.e. playcounts)

Well it worked when I switched from winblows to a mac, so I don't see why not.

Thanks for your help a great way to do the transfer is to select all on your itunes music and copy it and put the files in to a new folder. it doesn't keep play-counts or playlist but its a great way to just move your music flies you will need a mass storage device like a like external drive. B) And thanks for the help maccast community.

If you had just dragged your entire iTunes folder (not just the itunes music), you would have been able to keep your playcounts and playlists since you would be copying your iTunes library file too.

No matter, whatever works for you.