Seijornec

Airport Extreme networked audio issue

I recently picked up a used gigabit Airport Extreme (APX) and was hoping it would offer some nice features over my Linksys wrt54g. I share my iTunes library between two Macs (iMac and Mac Mini). I had no problems (buffering, dropouts) over my network (wired) with iTunes streaming content from the Mini to the iMac with the Linksys. Today when I was trying to do the same with the macs networked thru the APX it would drop audio for 10 seconds or so at least 2 to 3 times during a song. It seemed like a buffering issue because the song would pick back up where it left off. This is a surprise to me given it's a gigabit router and I'm on a wired network. Not sure what to do now. Is there someway I can diagnose the issue?

-EJ

I'd try the usual things first - restart the router, make sure you've got the latest firmware applied (7.3.1 which was released this week). You should also ensure you're using cat6 cables, since cat5 which are the usual cables people sell can't cope with gigabit, which might be the cause of the problems (even cat5e struggles).

I'd try the usual things first - restart the router, make sure you've got the latest firmware applied (7.3.1 which was released this week). You should also ensure you're using cat6 cables, since cat5 which are the usual cables people sell can't cope with gigabit, which might be the cause of the problems (even cat5e struggles).

Well I have a long run of Cat5e going to the mini maybe that's the culprit. For some reason I thought it would be able to handle gigabit. Guess I'll swap it out for some 6. Kind of a bummer considering the same run had no issues with the 54g.

Thanks for the help.

-EJ

Edited by Seijornec