MyJRNY

Mac won't sleep/mac won't wake

So, the G4 PowerMac won't go to sleep on its own and has be exhibiting this atrocious behavior for about 3 days. It also will not shut down from the apple menu. When I have to turn it off, I press and hold one of them power buttons (either one on the tower or the one on the apple display).

Why turn it off, you say? Well, when I've walked away from the computer for a while (probably the 15 minutes I've set in the energy saver) the display goes to sleep but shaking the mouse and tapping the keyboard does not wake it up.

I've also noticed that my mighty mouse has lost all but the basic (non-mighty) function.

I ran Disk Utility did all the repair/verify permissions stuff, booted up in safe mode, and booted from my Tiger disk. I also ran Disk Utility from the Tiger DVD.

Still, it is making me crazy. What else can I do before I have to call a Genius or a faux Genius? Otherwise the machine is working fine. Everything running like normal.

Thanks for any and all advice!

So, the G4 PowerMac won't go to sleep on its own and has be exhibiting this atrocious behavior for about 3 days. It also will not shut down from the apple menu. When I have to turn it off, I press and hold one of them power buttons (either one on the tower or the one on the apple display).

Why turn it off, you say? Well, when I've walked away from the computer for a while (probably the 15 minutes I've set in the energy saver) the display goes to sleep but shaking the mouse and tapping the keyboard does not wake it up.

I've also noticed that my mighty mouse has lost all but the basic (non-mighty) function.

I ran Disk Utility did all the repair/verify permissions stuff, booted up in safe mode, and booted from my Tiger disk. I also ran Disk Utility from the Tiger DVD.

Still, it is making me crazy. What else can I do before I have to call a Genius or a faux Genius? Otherwise the machine is working fine. Everything running like normal.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Well, if you have a good backup, I would suggest a reinstall to see if that fixes you problem. Also, you may want to create a new user account and try to use that other account. If you do not experience these same problems on the new user account, then it is just your account that is giving you fits. If you see the same behavior, it could very well be the system. When I encounter things of this magnitude, I would highly recommend a reinstall. Just my two cents and good luck. Hope someone else can offer a suggestion.

There's always the inevitable question of whether or not anything in your system changed right before the behavior started.

Also, when you say it doesn't shut down from the Apple menu, what does it do? Spinning wheel? Nothing?

Right before you tell it to Shutdown, open up Activity Monitor and see if the is an unresponsive application in the list.

Do you have any peripherals plugged in? Could be a unresponsive external drive hanging the shutdown.

There are other possibilities which don't immediately come to mind.

Things are getting wonkier and wonkier. I thought it was just limited to just my user account, but my husband swears that he was having issues with his account too (though not to the extent I am).

I rarely get the spinning ball when i try to shut down from the apple menu. It just does nothing.

Last night after I closed some of my apps, the icons in the dock stopped functioning. And I no longer can get my traditional finder window, just a plain window with my hard drive icon in it. I think I'll spend all my spare time from here on out backing up so I can reinstall this weekend.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll update in a few days in case its useful to some other clueless user. :-)

You could try resetting your p-ram. It often doesn't do anything, but it doesn't do any harm so it's worth a try.

Turn on your mac and IMMEDIATELY press and hold the command, option, p and r keys (need to do that before the grey screen appears according to apple, so basically as soon as you've turned the power on. Might be easier to do that with two people on anything other than a laptop).

Keep the option, command, p and r keys held down until you hear the startup chime for the second time. Your mac will take a little longer to boot than usual for the first time you boot it after this, will be back to normal for subsequent boots.

Try logging in using safe mode, hold shift as it starts to boot, and see if the same behavior is exhibited. That will eliminate any software that might be running in the background or at start up as a possible cause.

I want to die.

So far, it is not going well. This PowerPC is headed to the shop tomorrow...pretty sure.

I tried a ton of things, including all of the above suggestions, and nothing worked. So I bought an external drive and used Carbon Copy Cloner and cloned the hard drive. Then I erased and re-installed Tiger. Strange things are afoot at the Circle K, my friends. Because (I assume) of my slow firewire connection (don't have usb 2.0), the cloning and whatnot took all day.

I did back up iTunes to a DVD and all my unbacked-up photos to a CD, which added a few hours. But holy lord am I done with this....

Right now none of the apps work, save for the ones that I'm allowed to drag over to the applications folder from the external drive. It is only letting me drag a few, including (thankfully) Firefox.

I'll share more as details unfold as I feel this is a learning experience in progress (like, learn to save for a new mac every three years, buy Applecare, and save the enormous headaches of having to DIY).

Really sounds to me like the internal HD is dying. Have you tried booting from your clone?