GlenInTuckerGA

Airport Express OR Airport Extreme?

I have an Amazon gift certificate and want to buy either the extreme or express. I have an iMac G5.

I would like to use the new device with wireless speakers for portable iTunes playing throughout house and yard.

What else can I do with each of these? Which one should I buy?

Thanks!

I have an Amazon gift certificate and want to buy either the extreme or express. I have an iMac G5.

I would like to use the new device with wireless speakers for portable iTunes playing throughout house and yard.

What else can I do with each of these? Which one should I buy?

Thanks!

Depends. If you want to stream your music with it, you will probably want the Airport Express. It's portable and has the 3.5 mm jack for most computer speakers. However, the Express is limited in it's networking functionality. The Express only allows for wireless connection. The Extreme has a built in wired router as well, so it'll be good for multiple wired connections. I think they are great to use with each other if possible, but at their prices I understand the decision to buy only one.

Also, the express can only share printers, while the extreme can share both printers and usb hard drives on the network. Probably not much of a concern if you only have one mac, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

IMHO the Apple base stations are overpriced and lack functionality of less expensive options on the market. They can also be wonky. I'd take time to research the field and determine what's best for your specific needs.

"Wonky"? Is that a technical term?

They're also incredibly easy to set up compared to most other routers. And since we're talking about draft spec N, you're running the risk of your router not being much use if the firmware can't be updated. At least with apple routers you're pretty much guaranteed that they will always work with a mac.

IMHO the Apple base stations are overpriced and lack functionality of less expensive options on the market. They can also be wonky. I'd take time to research the field and determine what's best for your specific needs.

I was surprised by this, but with my findings, I found the Airport Extreme to be very competitively priced for a dual-band N-router. Although it lacks a fourth ethernet port for the network, I still found it to be very nicely priced. Plus I had some gift cards, so that helped it out a bit. ;) I will say I have had no problems with my Airport Extreme (knock on wood) and it's had almost entirely all up time for over a month (went down one night when my roommate on a Windows desktop was transferring some huge files over to our shared hard drive hooked into the Airport Extreme. Had to do a hard restart, but since then haven't had anymore trouble. Don't really know what caused the problem, but it was a nearly 10GB file to transfer. haha). Definitely look around for a better price, but you might be surprised what you find out there when comparing specs, performance, and price.

I'll add it to the list next to FUBAR.