MacRiesen

Security Update 2008-002 1.1 breaks firewire drive

MacRiesen    0

I just installed Security Update 2008-002 1.1 and after restarting (after installation) my iMac (2.0 GHz 17" Core 2 Duo white) now says my external firewire 400 drive is not a readable drive by OS X. I open Disk Utility and it sees the drive but won't let me mount it. I've tried rebooting but still get the same error message. I've never had this problem with the external drive until after installing the update to the security update. What the heck is going on??

FYI, this is my Time Machine drive and also holds my iTunes library!!!

Ignoracious    1

I would try if you can connect the drive through USB. If you can't, it is possible the drive is damaged, and the failure to mount has nothing to do with the latest update. Drives do fail unexpectedly. That is the reason why one backup isn't really a backup at all.

So, try to connect through USB and let us know how it went.

edit: rephrasing.

Edited by Ignoracious

MacRiesen    0
I would try if you can connect the drive through USB. If you can't, it is possible the drive is damaged, and the failure to mount has nothing to do with the latest update. Drives do fail unexpectedly. That is the reason why one backup isn't really a backup at all.

So, try to connect through USB and let us know how it went.

edit: rephrasing.

Unfortunately, it's Firewire only. Is it possible that somehow the directory was damaged/corrupted and a disk utility like Disk Warrior could help? DW is expensive, though. Are there any cheaper utilities that will do directory repair/recovery like DW?

Graham    1

Have you tried repairing the disk in disk utility? Or trying it on another mac if one is available? If it worked fine before the update, I doubt there's actually anything wrong with the drive.

You say this is your TM drive AND your iTunes library, so am I right in assuming that you haven't backed up your iTunes library anywhere?

Ignoracious    1

What you do next also depends on how much you want to spend on your data. If your data is worth nothing to you, why bother recovering it?

I would try the following (in this order):

1. create a new user account, log out from all other accounts, log in to the new account, and try to access the drive
  2. try repairing using Disk Utility
  3. try repairing using Disk Utility on your boot DVD (boot from the DVD, by keeping the Alt key pressed down and wait until the boot options appear and you can select the DVD to boot)
  4. try connecting the FW drive to another Mac
  5. try putting the drive in a cheap USB hard drive enclosure, to get the data off

Edited by Ignoracious

MacRiesen    0

Graham and Ingoracious:

Thank you both for the advice. Disk Utility did not give me the option to repair or verify. It thinks the drive is unformatted, so all it will let me do is erase/format the drive and start over. No, I don't have my iTunes library backed up anywhere, so I really need to be able to recover this drive. I don't have immediate access to another Mac right now, but I will as soon as my aunt & uncle get back home from a trip they're on right now. I will try creating the new user account when I get home later today and see if that will work.

MacRiesen    0
You may want to check out this page BEFORE considering the drive to be toast.

Ahhh, ok, I will definitely try that. Thanks! I'm beginning to think this forum is better than Apple's forums!

mobilexile    0

Please post back and let us know if it worked.

In my view this forum, along with others, make for a very reliable troubleshooting network / approach. Not to mention, you get to learn cool new stuff for free.

mobilexile    0

Did you look at the mount / unmount option / button in Disk Utility? If my memory serves that's how I was able to get around a similar problem some months ago. Sorry I can't give you more detail.

MacRiesen    0

Ok, I've tried everything suggested and nothing has worked. I tried creating a new account and it still wouldn't mount. I tried resetting the PRAM and that didn't work. Disk Utility sees the drive but refuses to mount it no matter where I'm running Disk Utility from: my account, new account, Leopard install DVD. I tried resetting the ports by disconnecting the iMac's power cord and disconnecting all peripherals and leaving it for 30 minutes (Apple recommends 3-5 minutes). Every time it tries to mount I get this message: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." Also, I had named the volume "Oxford" after the chipset manufacturer, but Disk Utility only sees the drive, not the volume. I'm beginning to think I'll need something like Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro to restore the directory.

Also, this page http://www.index-site.com/firewirebug2.html has a link that says "In Mac OS X 10.5.2, there are some instances where the Finder may not load with External hard drives according to the Apple knowledgebase" but the page that it links to can't be found.

Any more suggestions, other than plopping down $100 for DW or TTP?

mobilexile    0

You could try Onyx. I've not used it but have heard good things. I believe some folks around here use it.

As for DW, it's a great utility to have in your toolbox. Might be a wise investment regardless of how you come out with this drive.

Edited by mobilexile

MacRiesen    0

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded OnyX and it has some cool tools and features, but it doesn't have the ability to do any disk repairs other than to the startup volume. Does anybody have any suggestions/advice as to which is better - Disk Warrior or Tech Tools Pro?

MacRiesen    0
Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded OnyX and it has some cool tools and features, but it doesn't have the ability to do any disk repairs other than to the startup volume. Does anybody have any suggestions/advice as to which is better - Disk Warrior or Tech Tools Pro?

I also found Drive Genius 2 from Prosoft. Anybody had experience with any or all of these products? I read a comment on MacUpdate about DiskWarrior not working any time there's an OS update and then charging $50 when they finally do update DiskWarrior. Is Drive Genius a better product or better when it comes to updates? Or is Tech Tools Pro better for the price?

Graham    1

We use DiskWarrior at work (well, I don't but the mac techs do). Any decent drive recovery software will probably need an update when a new OS is released since they work at such a low level. The general consensus where I work is "you get what you pay for".

MacRiesen    0

Thanks for the recommendation, Graham. I've read good things about DiskWarrior on MacWorld. Tech Tool Pro is the same price, but seems like it comes with the same disk repair features plus more general system features, so I'm wondering if it gives more bang for the buck. But DiskWarrior says it works differently from any other disk utility of it's kind when it comes to restoring. So, I'm still debating...

Ignoracious    1

Most, if not all Mac disk utilities work on the file system level. If I remember correctly, Disk Warrior creates its own file directory, independently of the one that is on the disk (and probably corrupted). So it tries to retrieve the files on the disk that still can be retrieved.

An altogether whole other type of disk utility is one that works on the sector level (hardware level), and which is called Spinrite. Because it works on the hardware level, it is able to recover disks that are unreadable by the operating system, yet still recoverable by software. It does so by partially reading the sectors, instead of reading whole sectors, like the file system does. Unfortunately, it is only available for Windows PCs.

Both Alsoft (Disk Warrior) and GRC (Spinrite) have excellent track records of both superb user support and being the best in their respective fields.

Huskermn    33

I own and have used them all (including SpinRite) with varying success. I can't say why one works one time and another a different time, I just know that has been my experience.

What Graham says about updates to the utilities with a new OS is correct. They pretty much all need an update for the new OS. To some extent the same can be said of DW and machines. The version I own will no longer boot for my Intel Mac so I only use it on my PPCs now.

Have you tried a different cable?

MacRiesen    0

I did try a different cable, but got the same result. My computer sees the drive, but thinks there's been no volume created on it to mount. It thinks the drive is unformatted, apparently because the directory file has been corrupted. It seems odd, though, that it would happen after installing an OS update. Do OS updates affect external drives, too, in a way that has the potential for corruption of the directory?

Graham    1

It's unlikely. It's probably just coincidence.

Ignoracious    1

That was my very first thought.

I did have something similar. After an update of some software, my external hard disk suddenly slowed down considerably. I tried connecting over USB, but that seemed to short out the USB hub. I guess it was just a coincidence, and the drive's interface just had died on me. I could put it into another enclosure, but the disk wasn't SATA, but PATA (parallel ATA, the predecessor of serial ATA).

As I wrote earlier, accidents do happen, and you can easily come to wrong conclusions if you relate two things that aren't necessarily related.

If this is a software error on your disk, it may be repairable, but it will cost you the license of Disk Warrior and/or Spinrite (there are no guarantees that it will work, though). If it's a hardware failure, it may cost you several thousands of dollars to retrieve some of the data, because parts of the internal mechanism have to be replaced in a (dust free) cleanroom by specialized individuals.

Again, as I wrote earlier, it all depends on how much you're willing to pay for your data.

(edit: typos)

Edited by Ignoracious

MacRiesen    0

Ok, so I finally bit the bullet last night and bought DiskWarrior. It saw the disk and I started it on the process of rebuilding the directory. It got the the point of writing the rebuilt directory to the disk when it stopped because of an "unexpected error," which it identified as (32). I tried restarting my computer and attempting to rebuild the directory again, but got the same result at the same point in the process. Bottom line: DiskWarrior wasn't able to make any changes to the disk. I submitted a report to Tech Support through Alsoft's website, so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

So, any other ideas? Should I just buy a data recovery program and get my iTunes library off the drive and onto my internal drive and send my external drive to that big computer in the sky?

Help! :wacko: