dndgirl

Help enabling 802.11n with a Quickertek USB dongle

Hello everybody - first time poster but longtime Maccast listener. I have an original Intel iMac 20" (Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo) and a 12" Powerbook. I recently purchased the AirPort Extreme after reading about Quickertek's 802.11n upgrades. I purchased the USB Nano dongle and first tried to install it on the Powerbook. It worked fine per the instructions as a 802.11g device. Then when I purchased and attempted to use Apple's 802.11n enabler, I got a message saying it wouldn't work on this computer. I tried to do the same thing with the iMac and got the same message.

Has anyone here been able to use the Quickertek upgrades successfully with the enabler? The Quickertek Nano wasn't cheap, BTW - $100, so I'd really like to be able to use it as intended.

Laurie

The enabler from apple is only for AirPort Extreme cards that come in core 2 duo macs. You'll need to install the software that came with the usb adapter.

Thanks for the quick response. I already istanlled the software, but the site where I purchased the dongle said that I still needed to use the enabler. I can't get it to connect at 802.11n. I did try to set the Extreme to "n" only, and lost the connection completely.

The enabler from apple is only for AirPort Extreme cards that come in core 2 duo macs. You'll need to install the software that came with the usb adapter.

Can you confirm which model you got? If you just got the Quickertek Nano then it only supports 802.11g. The Quickertek nNano is the one that supports 802.11n. And I don't know why the site told you to buy the n enabler (which comes for free on the extreme cd anyway) since it is only for the computers I said before afaik. Can you link to the site?

Other than ensuring you've got the drivers all installed and that you've got the right model (and are actually using that, not the built in wifi - Quickertek has a video on this on their support site - http://www.quickertek.com/downloads/quicky_install.mov), I'd say you've got a defective unit. I've no idea if this stands for non-apple wireless cards, but it might be worth selecting the wireless dongle in Network Utility to see if it tells you which standards it supports:

20080329-qbwp4yt25d2ra34cw1787easjm.jpg

Hi Graham. It's definitely the nNano. I bought it from We Love Macs and here is the link: http://welovemacs.com/nnanousb.html

Unfortunately, the link to the install video on Quickertek's support site is broken and I can't find the video. I'm going to try again.

... Oddly enough, I reinstalled everything and now I think it's working correctly. This time the tx is 130 rather than 54. I may have missed a step last night when I first tried to do this.

Anyway, thanks for being here for me. Do take a look at the We Love Macs site for the nNano - it definitely says to buy the enabler. Oh well, two bucks won't break me. :)

Can you confirm which model you got? If you just got the Quickertek Nano then it only supports 802.11g. The Quickertek nNano is the one that supports 802.11n. And I don't know why the site told you to buy the n enabler (which comes for free on the extreme cd anyway) since it is only for the computers I said before afaik. Can you link to the site?

Other than ensuring you've got the drivers all installed and that you've got the right model (and are actually using that, not the built in wifi - Quickertek has a video on this on their support site - http://www.quickertek.com/downloads/quicky_install.mov), I'd say you've got a defective unit. I've no idea if this stands for non-apple wireless cards, but it might be worth selecting the wireless dongle in Network Utility to see if it tells you which standards it supports:

20080329-qbwp4yt25d2ra34cw1787easjm.jpg

Well, then I'd have to say they're stoopid. You only need the n enabler if you have a core 2 duo mac. It's a firmware update for the specific wireless cards in those macs, so it's not going to work on anything else.

Glad everything is working anyway.