Sign in to follow this  
cmeisenzahl

When does it make sense for me to get a Mac Mini? ...

I realize this is a rather subjective question.

But I'm interested in the opinions of folks here.

I have a G4 iBook and WinTel desktop at home. The wife agreed that when the desktop gets long in the tooth we'll go fully Mac. I had assumed we would get a 17" iMac. But she noted that we already have a 17" LCD that we're happy with, and of course a keyboard and mouse, etc.

How is the performance of Mac Minis compared to iMacs, assuming both are new? Do they both use roughly equivalent hardware? I'm not worried about the latest high-end video cards, not really a gamer.

What else should I consider when looking at the Mini vs. the iMac?

Thanks very much in advance!

Chris

Edited by cmeisenzahl

I realize this is a rather subjective question.

But I'm interested in the opinions of folks here.

I have a G4 iBook and WinTel desktop at home. The wife agreed that when the desktop gets long in the tooth we'll go fully Mac. I had assumed we would get a 17" iMac. But she noted that we already have a 17" LCD that we're happy with, and of course a keyboard and mouse, etc.

How is the performance of Mac Minis compared to iMacs, assuming both are new? Do they both use roughly equivalent hardware? I'm not worried about the latest high-end video cards, not really a gamer.

What else should I consider when looking at the Mini vs. the iMac?

Thanks very much in advance!

Chris

It all depends what you are doing. I mean, if you're doing anything that would be considered graphics intensive, I would recommend the iMac. Plus, if you went that route, you'd have dual monitors (which is totally awesome). But, if you find yourself doing small work, non-hardware-intensive work, then go with the Mini. The Mini is probably more powerful than most give it credit for (limited by RAM which should be upgraded to the max if possible and by it's integrated graphics card which is the same as the Macbooks now). I'm sure others can chime in on the subject, but I would think you'd be fine with a Mini, from what you have said.

Like was said before, it all depends on what you want to do. My mum has a G4 mini that she uses for your every day stuff (email, word processing, surfing the net) that works fine for her.

If you want to do iMovie or anything like that I'd recommend the iMac though. That way you can put RAM in yourself without voiding the warranty. If you filled the mini up with apple ram (which you'd have to do since it's a non user serviceable part), it would probably cost more than the low end iMac anyway.