cmeisenzahl

Anyone else using a G4 as their main Mac? ...

My main and only Mac at the moment is 3+ year old G4 1.2Ghz 12" iBook w/ 1.25GB RAM. I desperately want a new iMac, but the wife says it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Anyone else share this predicament? :blink:

Well I don't but my mum uses a 1.5Ghz G4 mini with 512mb RAM and it suits her fine. All depends on what you want to do with it I guess. Hers runs Leopard fine, and mail / safari / pages are snappy enough for her.

Well I don't but my mum uses a 1.5Ghz G4 mini with 512mb RAM and it suits her fine. All depends on what you want to do with it I guess. Hers runs Leopard fine, and mail / safari / pages are snappy enough for her.

Tanks, Graham.

I certainly don't do any video on mine, but it runs Tiger fine. Works great for web browsing, office apps, email, etc.

ask her about getting and oldering intel imac model lol... get a good one for around 1000 usd ;)

my dad using almost withe same laptop except his happens to be 14 inches...

This past February I replaced my 800 MHz iMac. Basis? Couldn't run Leopard and it was real sloooooow. Never had a problem with it until January '08; the DVD player failed. An impressive piece of hardware. Still runs but I have in cold shut down right now.

lorentzd

My partner uses my old G4 iMac by choice. I had a G5 iMac before my present Core Duo and she didn't want it. She prefers the design of the G4.

I find it pretty slow but it meets her browsing, email and photo management needs fine.

My partner uses my old G4 iMac by choice. I had a G5 iMac before my present Core Duo and she didn't want it. She prefers the design of the G4.

I find it pretty slow but it meets her browsing, email and photo management needs fine.

Up until about 6 weeks ago my main Mac was a PowerBook G4, 1.5GHz. My wife still uses it every day. My son uses a 600MHz G3 iMac too, although admittedly he's 3 and wouldn't know the difference.

roog

My brother-in-law uses his G4 Tower ( PowerMac Quicksilver ) for his business. Believe it or not, he has a Video Production business ( does mostly court depositions and weddings ). He runs Panther on it and it works fine for him ... maybe not the fastest at editing video, but he gets by just fine.

My brother-in-law uses his G4 Tower ( PowerMac Quicksilver ) for his business. Believe it or not, he has a Video Production business ( does mostly court depositions and weddings ). He runs Panther on it and it works fine for him ... maybe not the fastest at editing video, but he gets by just fine.

I forgot to mention I am also using my G4 Tower (Sawtooth, AGP Graphics) as a media server. It's been upgraded to 1.6GHz and has the original 10gb drive, a 320gb and now a pair of 750gb drives inside. I use this Mac as my AppleTV link and stream from it too.

roog

All I have are G4's! I have a Digital Audio G4 Dual 533, an iBook G4 1.42Ghz, and I jut bought a 12" G4 1Ghz off eBay for about $450. Sure I would love to get one of the new Macs, but I am very content with my G4's. My budget doesn't really allow to get a new Intel Mac, I have not run into anything that is forcing me to upgrade. That is what is great about Macs!

I actually use a G3 as my main mac. An iMac G3 to be exact. Even though it is slow and running Jaguar, I really like it. I use my Dad's iMac G5 as well.

I get all my stuff done at home on a ver A 12" powerbook. (867mhz,1.25 gigs of ram and 80 gig harddrive).

love it I too would like another but still dont really feel the need. Only thing really bad on it is my ipod touch. syncing of USB 1.1 is well Slow!

Edited by real

I was using a 5 yr old 12" aluminum G4 Pbook (circa sept. 2003) until last week. I just got a shiny black new Macbook, but I still have my Pbook.

I'm using a g4 sawtooth that I've upgraded with:

1.33 ghz Mercury extreme processor

SATA pci card and SATA 250G drive

1.25G of memmory

and a flashed geforce 6200 video card

running mac os 10.4.11

It's plenty zippy and I don't feel that I'm missing out on the "Mac Experience" by using such dated hardware.

...but I suuuuure would like one of those new Imacs or Macbook pros ;)

I was using a 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 as my only mac (or computer for that matter) until it was fried in a tragic water accident only a few days ago...

Most people upgrade by choice, but I was even planning on using mine for another few years.

I was using a 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 as my only mac (or computer for that matter) until it was fried in a tragic water accident only a few days ago...

Most people upgrade by choice, but I was even planning on using mine for another few years.

This is a true testament to Apple's software and hardware integration. The fact that a 4-5 year old PowerBook and still has enough horsepower to be someone's main machine is nothing short of outstanding.

I still use my PowerMac G4 Tower (AGP Graphics) with a Leopard and Tiger dual boot and it gets used everyday.

roog

This is a true testament to Apple's software and hardware integration. The fact that a 4-5 year old PowerBook and still has enough horsepower to be someone's main machine is nothing short of outstanding.

I still use my PowerMac G4 Tower (AGP Graphics) with a Leopard and Tiger dual boot and it gets used everyday.

roog

My girlfriend has a Fujitsu (Windows, of course) laptop from the same year (2003 or 2004~), and that monster is almost as big as the kitchen table (furniture in Japan is a little smaller, but come on...), takes about 25-30 minutes to fully load XP without hanging or crashing because you tried to click on something too soon, and likes to be picky about which days it will let you use the cd-rom drive, etc. Same year, but as different as night and day. Everyone always gave me the sarcastic "Isn't that nice, having a new computer..." line whenever they saw the G4, and then dropped their jaws when I told them the thing was almost 5 years old (and still running as well or better than their 2007-2008 Windows machines.)

I want to add that this is Panther, not Tiger or Leopard, that I'm talking about...

My girlfriend has a Fujitsu (Windows, of course) laptop from the same year (2003 or 2004~), and that monster is almost as big as the kitchen table (furniture in Japan is a little smaller, but come on...), takes about 25-30 minutes to fully load XP without hanging or crashing because you tried to click on something too soon, and likes to be picky about which days it will let you use the cd-rom drive, etc. Same year, but as different as night and day. Everyone always gave me the sarcastic "Isn't that nice, having a new computer..." line whenever they saw the G4, and then dropped their jaws when I told them the thing was almost 5 years old (and still running as well or better than their 2007-2008 Windows machines.)

I want to add that this is Panther, not Tiger or Leopard, that I'm talking about...

My PowerBook G4 came with Panther and it seems that every upgrade I make to it (Tiger, now Leopard) makes it even better. My PowerMac G4 (500mHz, AGP Graphics) has been upgraded to 1.6GHz and it's running Leopard too (and Tiger on a different internal drive.) Try running Vista on a PC from the year 2000. :-)

roog