Sign in to follow this  
boyfarrell

Switcher needs help on transfering old Podcasts to new Mac

Hi all. This sounds easier than it actually is!

I have the last 2 months of the MacCast on my PC and I want to transfer them to my PowerBook. When they are transfered I want them to appear under 'Podcasts' in the iTunes menu. (And the podcast menu of my iPod rather than just under 'Artists'.

However, there seems to be no facility to add old Podcasts to this menu other than downloading them again! I'm on dial up so this would take all weekend!

Cheers, Daniel.

PS. Thing I have tried.

1) Transfering them as data to my PowerBook and copying them into my the Podcast folder in my PowerBook's iTunes Music folder. Doesn't work.

Any other ideas?

Do step one, as you already did. Then choose: Add to Library... from the iTunes File menu. Navigate to the folder that contains your music, then click OK. This works for adding music, so I'm guessing it may also work for podcasts.

In WinXP, iTunes 4.9 has a Podcasts folder within the iTunes Music folder on the hard-drive. Since my Mac hasn't arrived yet, I don't know if this folder exists in OS X. If it does, I would imagine you could copy the files from Windows Podcast directory to the Mac Podcast directory.... Just a hunch....

I don't know how did you store your podcast on the PC. So I can't tell you if you are running itune on the PC but there is no easy way to import MP3 into the podcast menu in itune on the mac. I'd the same problem and haven't found a solution yet.

Just to confurm I havent tried it at all but there is a podcasts folder in the itunes library folder...

Do step one, as you already did. Then choose: Add to Library... from the iTunes File menu. Navigate to the folder that contains your music, then click OK. This works for adding music, so I'm guessing it may also work for podcasts.

I tried my suggestion (quoted above), and it didn't work. Instead, it just added my podcasts to my music library, which is obviously not what you want to do. I don't know if there's a way to do it.

Network your PC and Mac using something like a crossover cable. Copy your entire iTunes library, including the XML files and all that. Be sure to copy it to the location your Mac's iTunes app is using for the library. Then open iTunes, and everything should be the same as it was on the PC, including Podcasts.

Yeah, the trick is definatley copy over the xml files and itunes library and the itunes music folder. The mac automatically changes over from C:blarrrrblarrrrrr to unix style /user/daniel/itunes directories ... clever...

Cheers folks!

Yeah, the trick is definatley copy over the xml files and itunes library and the itunes music folder. The mac automatically changes over from C:blarrrrblarrrrrr to unix style /user/daniel/itunes directories ... clever...

Will this work if the Mac is in Target Mode? I would like to begin the process of migrating iTunes to my iBook soon....

OK - I just moved my WinXP iTunes data (20+GB) to my iBook. I did the following (on my home network):

1. Shared my iTunes folder on WinXP

2. Connected to this folder from the iBook

3. Copied WinXP's iTunes contents (all of it) to within the iBook's iTunes' folder

4. Started iTunes on the iBook

At this point, I noticed that my ratings, playlists, etc., did not copy over. So, I did the following on the iBook:

5. Closed iTunes

6. In my Music folder, deleted the file "iTunes Library"

7. Renamed "iTunes Music Library.XML" to "iTunes Library"

8. Started iTunes

It worked!

Steve