Sign in to follow this  
samtheman

Ipod photo 30gb freezes every time it goes to sleep

I'm having trouble with my iPod 30gb it freezes every time it goes to sleep this is INCREADIBLY frustraiting because I have to constantly reset it. I've tried so much I've resotred the thing a zillion times! PLEASE HELP!!!! thanks!

do you mean it doesn't turn off? my ipod photo never turns off straight away, so i have to do it a few times, but it doesn't freeze. if it actually freezes and you have restored it and everything, return it to apple because there's nothing more you can really do.

Well when I leave it idle for about 5 mins it's ment to automatically go to sleep but it wont wake up and I have to hold down the select and menu buttons to start it up again.

Hi, I just bought my iPod Photo 60 Gb last friday and I have the same issue. I realized that this happen when I've heard a podcast. What do you think? Do I need to return it? Do all iPods Photo have the same flaw? Greetings

I have a 20gb Photo, and I don't have this problem... so yeah, it might be a hardware issue. You can most likely send it back and get it fixed, especially if you just bought it, like NoPC did.

Well Ive been experimenting and it seems to happen when processing bookmarkable files. For example when I listen to My angels and Demons audio book it does that when it goes to sleep, I hope apple will correct this issue with the next iPod update.

I'm experiencing the same issues with my 40 GB iPod Photo. In fact, it just happened to me this morning while listening to the eMacCast on the way to work.

I wonder if these 2 issues are related:

1) Sleep freezing

2) Not turning off on first try

Maybe we can get a mention of this on the MacCast (or maybe it's already been discussed and I missed it)? Are you checking this out Adam?

Thanks,

David

my 30 gig I pod freezes also when listening to podcasts not to music. any answers out there yet?

Yeah the cause is definately saving where you're up to on podcasts and audiobooks (bookmarked aac files in general) and the thing is if you leave the track where you were up to the ipod will freeze when it goes to sleep and loose the position. I hope Apple relises this problem and fixes it as soon as possible.. How many people don't get this problem, using iPod Photos?

:shock:

Yeah the cause is definately saving where you're up to on podcasts and audiobooks (bookmarked aac files in general) and the thing is if you leave the track where you were up to the ipod will freeze when it goes to sleep and loose the position. I hope Apple relises this problem and fixes it as soon as possible.. How many people don't get this problem, using iPod Photos?

:shock:

I have never had this problem on my iPod. Granted, it's not techncially a "photo", because I bought it right after they announced that all iPods would have color screens, so maybe since it's fairly new, the problem isn't happening. I can't specifically recall ever doing this, but I know that I've listened to podcasts halfway through, paused the iPod, and started listening at that spot again hours later, and obviously the iPod went to sleep between then. I'll give it a real test after work, and see if I have the problem everyone else seems to have.

I am now getting a number of reports on this issue. The strange thing is I cannot get it to reproduce on my 40GB iPod Photo. I am beginning to wonder if the issue is limited to certain models. Also, I assume everyone who has mentioned issues here has the latest software for their iPods, right?

Adam

Back when they were the new model, I bought a 30 gigabyte third generation iPod (not the iPod-Photo.) It had this problem as well, that when it went to sleep, it required a reset to wake up. This was frustrating, beyond the obvious extra time to wake up, because when it froze it forgot my place in the audiobook I had paused. (Trying to find your place in a six hour audiobook ain't easy; the iPod only remembers your last location in an audiobook if you switch to another song before resetting.)

There were a few other reports on the various discussion boards of similar problems, but also many people who didn't have the problem (given the usual rule that only people with problems post to message boards, likely only a small minority of owners were experiencing this problem.) Much speculation as to whether it was hardware or software. Apple, following their usual public policy of the admitting to nothing, simply described the solution (KBase) as "Reset the iPod." I did a complete wipe and firmware reload, which didn't help.

Since I had bought the iPod from Amazon, I didn't have to convince Apple it was a defect. I returned the iPod for a replacement, and the replacement did not have the same problem.

(Personally, I think it was one of a bad batch from manufacturing.)

old MacNN thread on problem

another old MacNN thread on 3G with problem

I think if you are having the problem where your iPod doesn't turn off straight after listening to, for example a podcast as someone said earlier on, it is because the iPod is still bookmarking where you got to, basically, or doing something anyway.

I have this 'problem' all the time and I have worked out that by putting my iPod Photo next to my ear when it won't turn off, when i hear the hard disk stop, I know that I will be able to turn it off now. This happens when viewing photos and listening to podcasts. This leads me to believe that the iPod is doing something, which cannot be stopped, so the solution is to just give it a few seconds and try again. That's what it's like for me anyway.

With regards to freezing, I have never had my 30 gig photo freeze on me (when playing a song) so I can only presume that it is a hardware, or faulty firmware problem. It could possibly to do to with the RAM or something.

-Wilf

:shock: Ok I listened to the latest maccast (Im MP3 format, bookmarkable) pausing while I made a tea and it woke up perfectly and resumed in the place I left off.. I'm guessing here its a problem with the bookmarkable aac format in which all my audio books are because it only seems to happen in this case. Could other people just see if it happens with the bookmarkable MP3 format because mine doesn't seem to have this problem. And those who haven't had this problem could you try out a bookmarkable aac file?

Cheers!

By the way I listened to my audio book a bit then played songs straight after. I stopped the ipod about an hour later and it still froze, I don't thing we are interrupting a process but if we are it must be taking a very long time... :?

I am now getting a number of reports on this issue. The strange thing is I cannot get it to reproduce on my 40GB iPod Photo. I am beginning to wonder if the issue is limited to certain models. Also, I assume everyone who has mentioned issues here has the latest software for their iPods, right?

Yes Adam, I have the latest updates on my mac (iTunes 4.9) and on my iPod. Mine is a new model (iPod Photo 60 Gb) and I noticed this problem when I was listening the podcast InsideMacRadio-August 20th (yes I know is the competition but I swear I only voted for you in Podcast Alley) Maybe you can try with this. Start to listening it (the podcast above mentioned) about 5 minutes, pause, wait until sleep, wait 1 or 2 minutes, and it's done, the iPod is dead until soft-reset. ¡¡I love your show by the way!!

I have the same problem. However I get it sporadically, not everytime my ipod sleeps. This only happens when listening to podcasts. However it happens to me when I am listening to podcasts with no bookmarks (for example vanilla maccast not emaccast. The only way to wake from sleeping is either the menu/select reset or just let the battery run out.

Mine's a 20gb 4g ipod, blackwhite screen. Latest versions of itunes and ipod firmware.

My 30GB iPod Photo seems to freeze about half the time when I pause it (and then it goes to sleep) when I listen to an AAC podcast (whether or not it has bookmarks does not matter). If I hit play again before it sleeps, it is ok. MP3 podcasts do not seem to lock it up. I was starting to think mine had a problem, but seeing the other people with problems, I suspect it is a software problem with the iPod so I'm waiting for the next iPod software update to see if it solves it.

Is there a way to notify Apple? Mine is still under warranty, but past the 90 day support period so AppleCare won't talk to me about it.

I'm going to start downloading the mp3 MacCast to make certain it is just a problem with AAC podcasts.

I too have an ipod photo 30 GB that is locking up intermittently, only when playing bookmarked AAC files. i can't find anything at Apple except for "restore the newest software" I've done this, and the problem continues. What's frustrating is that it does seem to be so fickle... there are times when the pod goes to sleep on a bookmarked AAC and wakes up just fine. Interesting that this issue only cropped up when I started downloading the maccast. i'll take the risk. love the program!

The Tip above of turning it to sterio worked for me on a 30gb ipod photo, the only problem is the hugely inflated file, but hey no more freezing is good.