Sign in to follow this  
macfan777

XP's file sharing hates Leopard

Has anyone else been able to get XP shares to mount on OS X Leopard? I did when I had to wipe my Windows PC, and it showed up fine immediately after that. But, sadly, I installed a few Windows apps like Firefox and MS Office, and - bam, there goes the connection. VNC works fine from Mac to PC, but nothing else. Even my printer, connected to the Mac, is once again invisible to the PC. Any advice here, or should I just give up?

Has anyone else been able to get XP shares to mount on OS X Leopard? I did when I had to wipe my Windows PC, and it showed up fine immediately after that. But, sadly, I installed a few Windows apps like Firefox and MS Office, and - bam, there goes the connection. VNC works fine from Mac to PC, but nothing else. Even my printer, connected to the Mac, is once again invisible to the PC. Any advice here, or should I just give up?

I routinely mount my XP desktop share onto my Powerbook running Leopard. No problems seeing the XP shares from the Mac.

I have not gone the other way - I've never had a need for my XP machine to see anything on my Mac

- Tim

It's actually both ways - previously I could mount XP shares on my Mac and print from my PC to the printer connected to the Mac. However, I finally figured out the problem with mounting shares - Norton Firewall. I had it permanently turned off, but it seemed to have turned itself back on somehow. Anyway, the other thing I needed was printing from the PC to the Mac, and it worked fine at one time (Linux could see the printer even without configuration, but XP was a pain to get it to connect) but now all I get when I try to set it up on the PC is "The server for the printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you want do search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and contact your network administrator or original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer driver." When I boot into Linux, it prints fine. But in XP - still doesn't work.