Seijornec

10.4 to 10.5 file sharing issues...

I have an iMac running 10.5 and a Mac Mini running 10.4. I can file share fine from the iMac to the Mini but when I try to do the reverse (Mini to the iMac) I cannot get a connection. When I select GO> Network >iMac the connecting... dialogue box shows but it spins forever with the message "looking for server". Not sure what the deal is. It worked fine when both machines were running 10.4. I've looked for new settings in 10.5 that maybe needed to be switched/activated but haven't found anything?

Any thoughts?

-EJ

When I select GO> Network >iMac the connecting... dialogue box shows but it spins forever with the message "looking for server".

Try Go -> Connect to Server... -> afp://iMac.local.

I haven't even seen my iMac in my G4's /Network/Servers list in ages, even back when both were running Tiger. (G4 is still on Tiger, iMac is on Leopard.) Even when I'm actually connect to it, I don't see it there. But I usually connect the other way anyway, just because connecting to a server is so much nicer in Leopard.

I don't know what the hangup is, but I think it has more to do with network topology and/or non-standard NetInfo entries on the G4 than with an OS version mismatch. But that's just a feeling. I haven't really investigated it, since in a pinch Connect to Server works.

Well, I tried it but it had the same problem.

On a hunch I tried "allow all connections" in the firewall settings on the iMac (Leopard). That worked I was able to share as normal. So apparently there is a setting I need to change that will allow me to connect but also allow me to continue to use my firewall?

-EJ